Dancing With Dogs

I heard the CDC might be starting classes - can anyone confirm?

Can anyone give a basic run down on what is involved is a starters routine - I have read the ANKC rules but really just want to see what a starters routine is like (Video links would be great).

Thanks.

Yes, Phillipa that's correct.

Tony Turner of CDC is taking point on getting DWD off and running at the club. There aren't any links on the club website as yet but there's an article in the current magazine and the website should be updated after next weeks AGM.

Yarrowfell, a starters routine is just that - for a dog & handler who are fairly new to the sport. There are certain things that are required if you read the judging sheet ie that dog & handler work as a team but in general it is like the equivilent of CCD in obedience. Heelwork to Music you would expect to heel the dog in more than 1 heel position (so probably 2 or maybe 3 at a stretch for Started), heeling must make up at least 60% of the routine. Freestyle you are pretty much able to do what you want, my first routine only had about 3 steps of heeling in the whole thing because my dog couldnt heel at all :laugh: the rest of it was just tricks, but in reality some heeling is usually used but there is no set component. Score wise, the total number of points is 180 (60 points from each of 3 judges) & a qualifying score is 135+. Like obedience you must also get at least 50% of the marks available in each exercise from each judge to qualify.

I have just posted 2 started routines in the dog sport section if you'd like to take a look, just something to be aware of though, the lady in both videos is a top obedience handler up here in Brisbane & is in actual fact probably more advanced than Started (I'd hate for you to see the video & think you & your dog have to be that good to be able to compete in that level).

There are a couple of routines from WA on Youtube somewhere as well that aren't quite so daunting, they are from their first competition about a month ago, I'll see if I can find them for you.

If you contact Tony he will give you heaps of info about DWD & I know he will be only too happy to have someone else to train with :) .

How exciting. :D I wonder how I put my name down and if there is a wait list. I have been sooooo waiting for this in Canberra.

I was canvassing people for putting together an informal group but this is even better. I've been putting together little routines at home with a dog that just loves to dance (well loves doing tricks and loves music) but I want more.

How exciting. :D I wonder how I put my name down and if there is a wait list. I have been sooooo waiting for this in Canberra.

I was canvassing people for putting together an informal group but this is even better. I've been putting together little routines at home with a dog that just loves to dance (well loves doing tricks and loves music) but I want more.

Ring the club. 62957764 between 10.00 am and 1.00pm on weekdays.