Crate Positioning

HiDi

I dont have a dog yet but I have heaps of questions to get out of my system...one that's been nagging at me is:

I would like the dog to sleep in my room (in his/her crate) but everything I've read advises that the crate be placed in the most "social" room of the house (which for me is the living room), so what do I do?

My concern is that the living room gets cold at night and I wouldn't be able to hear the dog when its a puppy. Do I have two separate crates - one to hang out in and one to sleep in? Wouldnt that confuse the dog?

^I didnt even think of that!

Now I feel a bit silly :shhh:

LOL ... don't feel silly. Sometimes even the best (and even me! :laugh:) don't see the trees for the forest.

I have two crates - mainly because I have a large breed and push/pulling a metal crate around would be a proverbial pain in the :eek:. The second one I have is a soft crate, but I only purchased that once my boy was crate trained.

Yep - for night time, I really like to have the crate right beside my bed - easy to hear the pup and get up and take him/her outside to pee, and then easier to settle down again. (I always give a small biscuit when they get back in their beds - adds value to the crate.) And as has been said before on other threads, they can hear you breathing, and you can put your hand down near the crate while they settle down again.

If you can afford it, another crate or play-pen is great to have as a time-out/rest spot in one of the more social areas. And well done for thinking this stuff out ahead of time - it will help your future puppy to be nice and settled.