Cell Cancer

I just got of the phone from a friend of mine who just found out today that her 5 1/2 yr old Labrador has cell cancer.

She rang me for advice, but I have never delt with any type of cancer before so I couldn't really help her out. This is what she told me, any suggestions would be appreciated.

She notices a small lump on Jemma's head a little while ago but didn't give it much thought, it has grown only slightly so she thought she had better get it checked out. The vet had a look, done a needle biopsy and told her she could see the cell cancer quite clearly and it looks agressive. I have no idea you could tell just from looking at it though a microscope so not sure if this would be an accurate diagnosis??

She has given her a couple of options, remove the lump, and quite a bit around it, further tests to find out more about what they are dealing with, or just leave it be for the time being and see how she goes.

I suggested to her that she should get further tests and look at getting the lump removed. She is in a bit of a state of shock at the minuute so is still letting it all sink in.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know anything I should tell her about further tests, questions to ask etc?

Does she mean a mast cell tumour? If so, yes you can diagnose it with a needle biopsy since the cells involved look quite distinctive.

If it's a mast cell tumour I'd personally go straight for removal of the lump, then send it off to the lab to check all the margins are clear (i.e that they've got all the lump out). At the least, I think your friend should get further testing done (they'll probably want to biopsy the lump and send the sample in to the lab for histology, which can give you information about how aggressive the cancer is likely to be, which is something you can't get just from a needle aspiration biopsy).

I wouldn't leave it and just wait, mast cell tumours can be very nasty things.

Edited by Staranais

She just told me Cell cancer so I'm not too sure. I will leave her alone tonight but will call her tomorrow and find out.

She said the vet suggested she have it removed and I said I agreed with the vet so hopefully she will get it done ASAP. I will have a chat to her tomorrow when she is a bit more with it.

Thanks for your reply.

I just got of the phone from a friend of mine who just found out today that her 5 1/2 yr old Labrador has cell cancer.

She rang me for advice, but I have never delt with any type of cancer before so I couldn't really help her out. This is what she told me, any suggestions would be appreciated.

She notices a small lump on Jemma's head a little while ago but didn't give it much thought, it has grown only slightly so she thought she had better get it checked out. The vet had a look, done a needle biopsy and told her she could see the cell cancer quite clearly and it looks agressive. I have no idea you could tell just from looking at it though a microscope so not sure if this would be an accurate diagnosis??

She has given her a couple of options, remove the lump, and quite a bit around it, further tests to find out more about what they are dealing with, or just leave it be for the time being and see how she goes.

I suggested to her that she should get further tests and look at getting the lump removed. She is in a bit of a state of shock at the minuute so is still letting it all sink in.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know anything I should tell her about further tests, questions to ask etc?

No experience with this but was taking with someone with cancer and they were saying that it is better to cut out the cancers with laser rather than cutting as cutting there is more chance of it spreading. Also came across this site when I was doing some research, has anyone used this for pets or people with cancer with any success.

http://www.essiac-canada.com/pets.htm

I had a talk to her on the weekend. She doesn't remember the vet saying anything out Mast Cell Cancer, just Cell Cancer. The vet advised her to take it off but also said it was no guarentee that it won't already be elsewhere or not grow back.

My friend is now thinking of leaving it be as there is a chance if it growing back. I've told her to go back and have a good talk to the vet about it as I don't think it's such a good idea.

I had a talk to her on the weekend. She doesn't remember the vet saying anything out Mast Cell Cancer, just Cell Cancer. The vet advised her to take it off but also said it was no guarentee that it won't already be elsewhere or not grow back.

My friend is now thinking of leaving it be as there is a chance if it growing back. I've told her to go back and have a good talk to the vet about it as I don't think it's such a good idea.

Hmmm, technically every cancer is a cell cancer, there is no one type of cancer just called "cell cancer". So either your friend got the name wrong or the vet has no idea what it is and is hoping you won't guess. :)

I'd strongly recommend your friend call the vet and ask the cancer's name, the prognosis if she doesn't remove it, and the prognosis if she does remove it.

Ollie has MCT (Mast Cell Cancer) grade 2, no clear margins on excision of multiple tumour sites - it is systemic as it is in his lymph system as well...

Removal of tumours with a good margin to make sure they are clear is important. Chances of tumours recurring in MCT 2 are medium to high (in MCT 3, very high and MCT 1, the most curable, low)... MCT can act like a grade 1 or a grade 3, it just depends on the tumour.

MCT release histamine into the system and it makes the dog look like it is having an allergic reaction - we use antihistamines to limit this and it is very effective.

MCT is initially dxd with a needle aspirate, then they go for the removal. They cannot tell what grade it is until the removal and it is sent to pathology for examination.

There is a variety of treatments available - Ollie has a thread in the palliative care section here in the health forum if your friend wants to read about our journey...

Best of luck

Edited to add: it could be a round cell tumour - these can be good or bad... We had one removed (actually it was his whole toe) not long ago.

Edited by Staffyluv