Vomiting After Chicken Necks

milzi09

Hi all,

I feed my two dogs about an 80% raw diet with about 20% commercial (kibble to go into the treat balls). So both of my dogs are used to getting fresh meat and big raw meaty bones etc. However, I have the trouble that whenever I feed them chicken necks at night (so I can supervise since they get their breakfast in kongs when I leave for work), they will generally vomit in the early hours of the morning. The last time I noticed little pieces of bone in the vomit

At the start I was buying the necks from a chain store and thought perhaps they were bad quality necks, so I tried a range of them from other stores and they still vomit.

So has anyone else experienced anything similar and would you stop feeding your dogs chicken necks if you were experiencing the same thing?

YES!! It happens to my dogs every time, so i now no longer feed them raw chicken.

My friends do not have this problem, just me, and it happens with both my Afghans and Salukis.

I've experimented, like you, but no change. So it's off the menu for us!!

Hi all,

I feed my two dogs about an 80% raw diet with about 20% commercial (kibble to go into the treat balls). So both of my dogs are used to getting fresh meat and big raw meaty bones etc. However, I have the trouble that whenever I feed them chicken necks at night (so I can supervise since they get their breakfast in kongs when I leave for work), they will generally vomit in the early hours of the morning. The last time I noticed little pieces of bone in the vomit

At the start I was buying the necks from a chain store and thought perhaps they were bad quality necks, so I tried a range of them from other stores and they still vomit.

So has anyone else experienced anything similar and would you stop feeding your dogs chicken necks if you were experiencing the same thing?

Do they vomit after you feed them other types of RMB?

If they can eat other RMB without issue, then if I were you I'd just stop feeding the chicken necks and replace them with another type of RMB. Perhaps their little tummies just can't handle the chicken for some reason. All dogs are different. :)

Wow its good (well not good but you know what I mean) to know that someone else has the same problem, because no one else I know has it. I have tried lamb bones and they were fine, but haven't tried chicken wings. I'm going to give turkey necks a go and see how this goes.

If all else fails I think I'll just cut out the chicken as was suggested. It just seems strange that it happens to both my dogs who are not related.

Maybe they are gulping them in pieces which are too large, in which case I'd go for a bigger bone for them which they do need to break up to swallow. Turkey necks would fit the bill nicely.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll give some bigger bones a go this week and see how things go. I know one does gulp it down but the other seems to chew hers fairly thoroughly. Yet there is always bits of bone in their vomit so perhaps it hasn't been chewed properly.