Obedience Trials

Hi all,

I need some help on the run down of Obedience Trials and obtaining a title.

I own a GSP, and I am currently in the Green Class which is heeling on loose lead, off lead recalls, sit stays and down stays (both off lead).

I have a testing day next month, but I don't think she is far off to be put up into the next class (The start of off lead work).

Now I am thinking about starting some Obedience trials after the next Testing Day, and if anyone can please give me the run down of how it is ran/works.

With entries, can you use the same form as you use for Conformation Show, but mention it for CCD? I am using the program that prints out the form with all the dogs information on it?

I also notice on the trials it mentions "Check in", what does this involve?

Also in the end, I note on some information that it said along the line of 3 passing scores to recieve a CCD title, do you pick this up from the secretary at the end of the day?

I am new to this trialling experience, and I feel that my little girl is ready for it and willing to commit to obedience, and I am looking to start somewhere with her and work through some titles (I am hoping to cover the CD's titles, the AD's titles and maybe Flyball).

Hi we are new to obedience trials also but we have just gained 4 qualifying scores to gain our CCD title.

YOu can use the same entry form for trials that you use for conformatoin, if using the cheque book style entries form Dognsw then the relevant bit is on the far right hand side and you just put CCD.

Check in time is for vetting - if your bitch is not desexed then she has to be vetted to make sure she is not in season. You can show in confirmation in season but you can not trial.

You can look all the relevant tasks for CCD up on your regulatory body's website, you havent said where you are so I am answering from a NSW perspective.

So you will enter the ring and do a heeling pattern on lead. Then return to the peg and do a stand for exam on lead. Then return to the peg and do a recall - off lead.

Then when all the other CCD competitors have done all that you do the group stays. That means that the CCD competitors line up in thier catalogue order and enter the ring. They put thier dogs in a sit stay and leave thier dogs for 1 minute. When they have finished that they put thier dogs in a down stay and that's two minutes (I think).

And that completes the CCD trial - you must get a pass of 75 for a qualifying score and you need three qualifying scores for a CCD title. Once you get them you send the qualifying certificates to your relevant body and apply for a title.

I am from Victoria *nods*

My little girl Bella has been spayed, so that won't be an issue! :D

I have been doing a bit of research about trialling and starting to read the ANKC Rule Book about guidelines to trialling, and I know that Bella and I am slowly just about covered all of the CCD Aspect!

But that sounds easy enough!

How do you get your qualifying scores? Who do you usually pick them up from?

Thank you for your help explaining everything Mercedes! :laugh:

Tambaqui, you'll find even desexed girls need to be checked, also you need to collect your number at the check in. This allows scratchings to be noted so the the judges aren't left calling for absentees. The check in vetting is usually just a tissue or cotton ball wiped over the girls nether regions.

Also the three qualifying scores need to be a minimum of 50% in each exercise (if you bomb on one exercise that's it even if you have over 75 points) and they need to be under at least two different judges. So if you get three qualies but they're all under the same judge then you still need to get one more under a different judge. Does all that make sense?

The score cards are handed out at the presentation after all the rings and thus the trial are finished. If a club holds a double trial they'll do two presentations.

Good luck with it and be sure to let us know how you get on. It's great fun.

Hi Tambaqui

Here is a very handy vic website with rules and trial news

vic obedience website

I think you will find a link to an entry form on the DogsVictoria website.

You can't use a conformation one last time I checked, although I havn't trialled for over 12months now.

If you live anywhere near KCC Park, I strongly recommend that you attend the Friends Of Obedience nights when they are on. There is a link to info on F.O.O on the website link.

I live an hour and a half away, and still make it when I can. Well worth it, with many highly experienced triallers in attendance to ask questions and opinions. Many of us Dolers too!

Tambaqui, you'll find even desexed girls need to be checked, also you need to collect your number at the check in. This allows scratchings to be noted so the the judges aren't left calling for absentees. The check in vetting is usually just a tissue or cotton ball wiped over the girls nether regions.

Also the three qualifying scores need to be a minimum of 50% in each exercise (if you bomb on one exercise that's it even if you have over 75 points) and they need to be under at least two different judges. So if you get three qualies but they're all under the same judge then you still need to get one more under a different judge. Does all that make sense?

The score cards are handed out at the presentation after all the rings and thus the trial are finished. If a club holds a double trial they'll do two presentations.

Good luck with it and be sure to let us know how you get on. It's great fun.

Thanks for clarifying in depth in regards to vet checks and it now make sense behind the check in of how they operate. At the members testing day at my club, we just pick up our number from the table and then proceed to the ring.

I also read a bit about the 50% rules in the rule book for obedience trial from the ANKC website, but I was completely confused by the definition, but thank you for expanding on that concept! At least I won't be so confused or shocked if Bella got 75 out of 100 but still failed and then wonder why!

Hi Tambaqui

Here is a very handy vic website with rules and trial news

vic obedience website

I think you will find a link to an entry form on the DogsVictoria website.

You can't use a conformation one last time I checked, although I havn't trialled for over 12months now.

If you live anywhere near KCC Park, I strongly recommend that you attend the Friends Of Obedience nights when they are on. There is a link to info on F.O.O on the website link.

I live an hour and a half away, and still make it when I can. Well worth it, with many highly experienced triallers in attendance to ask questions and opinions. Many of us Dolers too!

I definitely live near KCC Park, I couldn't find the info on F. O. O on the website, I don't know if I over looked it but I did a google research and found a link that mention that they are doing twilight obedience trials and to keep an eye out for more information in the next Gazette.

Could you please explain what does it involve? I might be interested in it!

The twilight trial on November 24 will definitely be on the list to do, and I plan to do the one at Southern Obedience as well!

They run a series of mock trials, for people such as your self that want real trialling conditions, and real judges (aspiring). They normally run every Tuesday night when in season. (some of the others may have dates)

They cost about $5 or $6 per night, which raises money for new equipment and projects at KCC.

They really are invaluable for aspiring triallers.

ETA: I was shocked to find that the vic obedience website has been totally changed to a shadow of its former self!!! No usefull links or info!!

Edited by dogdude

I am definitely interested in that! I'll keep an eye out for it and hopefully it'll be in the Gazette next month! :cool:

I have done Member's Comp to learn how to do showing, but that is absolutely fantastic and it's great to know that there is an alternative for Obedience Trialling where it's all based on real trialling conditions!

I'd be willing to pay that, and it's a good excuse for my dog not to slacken off during the week :cry:! lol

Hopefully Vic Obedience will be able to fix all those links and information as they must've been useful for everyone!

Thank you for your help dogdude! I hope to see you down at KCC when the F.O.O starts up!

Hi there :cool: I'm also very new to trialling.

I don't think you mentioned stand for exam (or maybe I'm blind). Also you might not be aware that in trials you can't talk to your dog other then commands (also no food in the ring etc). If you bring your dogs de-sexing certificate then your dog probably won't have to be vetted (thats wat its like in SA). I would suggest just going along to a trial to have a look, to get used to what goes on before your actual trial.

Hi DogSportObsessed!

Bella knows how to do Stand for Examination, so that is no issue, but I am still working on ensuring she stays where she is as the judge examines her (She thinks if the judge is patting her casually, she starts to go towards them to get some more pat!).

I also notice that rule as I read the rule book, and I am working on that at the moment, but I think Bella knows she won't be getting food often as she used to and the talking to the dog thing, that is definitely not an issue but thanks for bringing it up! :cool:

Thanks for suggesting to bring along the desexing certificate, I'll keep that in mind!

I will keep an eye out for any trials coming up to watch them in action and hopefully it'll help!

Could I also please ask everyone, as I almost forgot! Do any of you bring things in tow things like Gazebo, dog crates/show trolley, chairs, etc etc like the show people do? Especially if the trial is held at the KCC Park?

I am only asking mainly so if I bring my dog/s along, I am mainly thinking in terms of shade for the dog/s and also somewhere secure for them to sleep in.

Bring fold out chairs :cool: As for Bella you can bring a crate (lots of people do) for her to stay in while your waiting for your turn in the ring :cry:. I don't have a crate, but a stay peg, to tie my dog to.

Some people take a gazebo but honestly most trials are held in the cooler months so a crate is usually enough plus a chair for yourself. We usually take a chair, a travel rug and a bag with various bits and pieces, number holder, water, bowl, a towel, and a reward container for Miss Pants. If it's warm I take a cool coat as well. You can buy a lovely soft crate on ebay that has an insulating fabric in the roof.

The Vic obedience website is on geocities, and since they're closing all geocities websites my guess is they're in the process of moving the site else where. The OTEC generally advertise the run throughs in the gazette.

Be aware that they may or may not accept a desexing certificate. Because of the rules they tend to vet check regardless, I've noticed some don't even check for ear tattoos.

Bring fold out chairs :hug: As for Bella you can bring a crate (lots of people do) for her to stay in while your waiting for your turn in the ring :). I don't have a crate, but a stay peg, to tie my dog to.

I do have a crate, but I prefer my Bella sleep in her show trolley as it's bigger and has more room, and I can put some good blankets and kennel mat in it and she would still have room to move around, but the stay peg would be good! I think I sell them where I work, so I may check it out!

Some people take a gazebo but honestly most trials are held in the cooler months so a crate is usually enough plus a chair for yourself. We usually take a chair, a travel rug and a bag with various bits and pieces, number holder, water, bowl, a towel, and a reward container for Miss Pants. If it's warm I take a cool coat as well. You can buy a lovely soft crate on ebay that has an insulating fabric in the roof.

The Vic obedience website is on geocities, and since they're closing all geocities websites my guess is they're in the process of moving the site else where. The OTEC generally advertise the run throughs in the gazette.

Be aware that they may or may not accept a desexing certificate. Because of the rules they tend to vet check regardless, I've noticed some don't even check for ear tattoos.

I already have a few crates and a show trolley, so it's all good! But at least thats a good list to bring along, I'll write them down, so I don't forget any essential things!

Thank you everyone for your help and indpeth explanation! It's appreciated, and if any of you have anything that might be useful, then please post here! I am looking forward to the next few months, and can't wait for the F. O. O to start soon! :)