Lab Retriever Exercise

Matthew_B

Hi all

Beau is settling in nicely now - he's asleep on the verandah outside as I type this. I am just wondering how much exercise I should be giving him each day. He is a week or so shy of being 2 months old. I don't want to over-exert the little fella. He sleeps about 2 or 3 hours at a time thru the day, stopping for lunch at about 12:30-1pm. In the yard, we run around a bit and he jumps up and down in front of me, barking. On the verandah, he wrestles with his teddy bear or chews on a fairly thick stick or one of his chewy toys.

Also, I'm considering buying one of those Kong toys with the liver treats inside them for him. Are they a good idea for a puppy of his age?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

we run around a bit and he jumps up and down in front of me, barking.

Hi- while this is excercise- it is not 'good' excercise.

It is teaching him to be rowdy/bouncy with humans... it is also getting him excited around a human...

throw him a ball/rope toy instead, and teach him to bring it back by swapping it for a tiny treat ;) DO NOT chase him! Only do this for a minute at a time.. he is much a baby still!

Get him a soccer ball.. and kick it around until he gets the idea that he can roll/chase it himself :) He will jump on it and roll with it and head butt it....

Start teaching him to walk with his collar and leash on...around the house and yard :bolt: This will give him lots of mental exercise too- VERY good ;)

Kongs are good .. smear the inside THINLY with cheese spread..or a tiny bit of peanut butter - wedge in a chicken wing...

Lots of sleep is a good thing ;)

Beau sounds gorgeous!

We have a little lab too who is about 7 months now. Here what our breeder told us about exercising labradors, though I know how easy it is to play with them more than this because I know with our, she didnt show any signs of wanting to stop and they look like they are having so much fun.

"A few minutes practice on the lead every day or two five to ten minutes of play several times per day is all that is required until about 16 to 18 weeks. Gradually increasing exercise by 8 months to a 20-minute walk.

Labradors are a moderately heavy boned dog and can be subject to repetitive strain and stress. Long runs, running up and down steps, slippery floors and excessive play or play with larger dogs is not recommended until fully grown. Too much exercise can cause lameness and may lead to shoulder and hip joint problems such as osteochondrosis and hip dysplasia."

I guess its a bit like real kids, you just gotta be the unfun parents sometimes. Though you can stimulate with overexurstion. eg: lamb/pigs ears, kong toys filled with different stuffing. We sometimes scatter charlis dry food on the pavement and she acts like a little sniffing detective trying to find all the pieces! :laugh:

Beau sounds gorgeous!

We have a little lab too who is about 7 months now. Here what our breeder told us about exercising labradors, though I know how easy it is to play with them more than this because I know with our, she didnt show any signs of wanting to stop and they look like they are having so much fun.

"A few minutes practice on the lead every day or two five to ten minutes of play several times per day is all that is required until about 16 to 18 weeks. Gradually increasing exercise by 8 months to a 20-minute walk.

Labradors are a moderately heavy boned dog and can be subject to repetitive strain and stress. Long runs, running up and down steps, slippery floors and excessive play or play with larger dogs is not recommended until fully grown. Too much exercise can cause lameness and may lead to shoulder and hip joint problems such as osteochondrosis and hip dysplasia."

I guess its a bit like real kids, you just gotta be the unfun parents sometimes. Though you can stimulate with overexurstion. eg: lamb/pigs ears, kong toys filled with different stuffing. We sometimes scatter charlis dry food on the pavement and she acts like a little sniffing detective trying to find all the pieces! :laugh:

Yep that is what the breeder Im getting our pup from mentioned. He said don't really do much to their about 12 months of age and keep it more playing, not long walks etc. Stressed to me, (NO RUNNING EG going for a jog) Strongly suggests no jumping or throwing a ball to high as it makes them jump, he sorta says until full grown bones can get problems as they haven't fully developed.

Must admit before he told this I thought you had to take for a 20min walk every night.

Most breeders will recommend that you don't do lead-based exercise like walks or runs until the dog is over 12 months old. Allow unlimited free running (doggy park daily is great once your pup has passed the ten day quarantine after the 12 week vaccinations).

Edited by Pointeeblab

• 3 months later...

With our Choc Lab who is now 10mths we have found a Kong to be fantastic mental stimulation along with those Leo's that you can join together and the Everlast treat thing (can't remember the exact name of it but it's like a ball cut in half and you put a treat chunk thing in it). Another great investment for us was the Aussie Dog treatball which we actually put his dry food in when we feed him...keeps him entertained for ages and tires him out. From memory we introduced that to him around 4mths. I currently walk him around the block/park for about 20mins on a lead. As we take him to Obedience Training once a week, I do some lead work with him for part of the walk and then the rest of the way his reward for good work is to sniff about etc. as he pleases. Someone will also do some quick command training with him at the opposite end of the day to his walk i.e. sit, stand, stay, recall, drop etc. As I have two young children, we have never encouraged tug of war type of games or jumping up of any kind - this way it minimises the chance of any "accidents".

We have also discovered the beauty of scattering carrot and apple pieces around the yard for a "treasure hunt" before we go out.....he LOVES it! Gets his sniffer going and keeps him out of mischief.

Good luck!

Edited by leroysmum

The only advice I can offer is what has been noted on the website of the breeders where we are getting Henry from:

1. No throwing balls great distances for the pup to chase. Besides over reaching with front legs, its the sudden stopping that is the danger.

2. No jumping in or out of the car especially utes, four wheel drives or station wagons. As all the dogs weight is on the front legs as it lands.

3. No Agility or Flyball. Tracking is fine as they start with very short runs.

4. Swimming is great and there is no limit to it as there is no concussion on the joints.

5. No jogging or chasing push bikes. Lead work should be introduced gradually from eight weeks in the backyard to start with till the pup is comfortable with the collar and lead.

6. When walking on concrete footpaths up till four months, 10 minutes is enough.

7. Four months to six months: up to 15 minutes.

8. Six months to eight months: up to 20 minutes.

9. Nine months to twelve months: up to 30 minutes.

I am not sure how accurate the above information is so if anyone is able to confirm that these details should be followed it would be good to know for myself as well for when Henry arrives...