Dog Sledding

petmezz

wow i still have so much i still have to learn about ths sport.......... it seems like 4 years wasn't enough time to learn what i needed to tackel long distance or even mid dstance for that matter. nothing like being a handler and yelled at constantly and the real training is yet to start. but i have met some awsome mushers so far and many more to come.

any one else been a handler for a musher??

Petmezz I so envy you...I would love to get into mushing one day...perhaps in my next life. :hug:

I met Prof Ray Coppinger last year when I visited Wolf Park and he raced sled dogs for 14 years. He told many stories of his various dogs and races he had mushed (one of his lead dogs was a border collie!). He told of how, after 14 years, he was still learning and that it had taken him that long to finally perfect his team of dogs! If I remember correctly he 'ran' a few iditarods too.

What sort of dogs are you racing?

Have fun and let us know how you go with it...I am very much interested.

many years ago my family was involved in getting permission to run the dogs in the nat. parks. We lived at Mount Beauty and were invited by Falls Creek and Mt Hotham to have the dogs and sleds at the opening and closing weekends of the ski season and we were given access to a road covered in snow which the public had no access to for training. It was magic.

I'm waiting for a new gig so I can start training my latest Sibs

i'm in the yukon on anne lake lol a little different to canberra. the dogs are alasken huskies so mix breed muts bred with distance sledding and racing in mind. I'm handaling for Hugh Neff an iditarod and yukon quest competeter, their are 75 dogs that i feed, water and clean up 3 times a day at the moment. i also go on the training runs and after the yelling at hook up time it is quite plesent.

the only down side is my accomadation in a cabin with out running water, with out electricity and a out house as the loo and it will get down to -45 or lower......it will be an experiance.

by the way Kelpie-i i'm shout you have done many things i would love to do :)

Petmezz I so envy you...I would love to get into mushing one day...perhaps in my next life. :cry:

I met Prof Ray Coppinger last year when I visited Wolf Park and he raced sled dogs for 14 years. He told many stories of his various dogs and races he had mushed (one of his lead dogs was a border collie!). He told of how, after 14 years, he was still learning and that it had taken him that long to finally perfect his team of dogs! If I remember correctly he 'ran' a few iditarods too.

What sort of dogs are you racing?

Have fun and let us know how you go with it...I am very much interested.

Guest rhapsodical78

Awesome. My parents just came back from Canada and Alaska where they had the opportunity to go on a sled.

They brought back a book about the Iditarod which I have been reading. Pretty interesting stuff. Some of those Alaskan Huskies are just stunning.

Seaveys was the name of the breeder.

any one else been a handler for a musher??

Have been involved in the sport since 2001, it is great fun and the dogs love it.

We handle the dogs, my son races them. We don't run in the big classes, just one and two dog classes.

Love watching overseas races, and bought the DVD of this years Iditarod.

We have met some great people and great dogs through the sport. :laugh: