Advance V Optimum Puppy Dry

TYLER23

Ok, we know the same company produces both products, Advance is almost twice the price, but on close inspection there doesn't seem to be much difference in the ingredients.

The ingredients are identical except for the following.

Optimum:

- Chicken by products

- Cereal Protein

- Wheat

- Beef Tallow

- Ferrous Sulphate

- Selenium

- Sugar Beet Pulp

- Salt

- Sodium Tripolyphosphate

- Glucosomine

Advance:

- Chicken Meal

- Chicken Tallow

- Maize Gluten

- Poultry and Meal

- Vegetable Fibre

- Barley

- Iodised Salt

- Iron Sulphate

- Sodium Selenite

Are any of the extra ingredients in Advance really worth the extra $$ or are any of the extra ingredients in Optimum inferior and should be avoided?

Ok, we know the same company produces both products, Advance is almost twice the price, but on close inspection there doesn't seem to be much difference in the ingredients.

The ingredients are identical except for the following.

Optimum:

- Chicken by products

- Cereal Protein

- Wheat

- Beef Tallow

- Ferrous Sulphate

- Selenium

- Sugar Beet Pulp

- Salt

- Sodium Tripolyphosphate

- Glucosomine

Advance:

- Chicken Meal

- Chicken Tallow

- Maize Gluten

- Poultry and Meal

- Vegetable Fibre

- Barley

- Iodised Salt

- Iron Sulphate

- Sodium Selenite

Are any of the extra ingredients in Advance really worth the extra $$ or are any of the extra ingredients in Optimum inferior and should be avoided?

Chicken meal is a higher quality meat that chicken by-products. Optimum also uses cereal protein as a filler to reduce the amount of meat used in the kibble.

There are things other than just price to consider.

With higher quality kibbles, you don't have to feed as much and you don't end up picking up as much from the back lawn.

One of the top three ingredients in Optimum is cereal which is of very little nutritional value to the dog. Cereals are fillers. No point in paying for the cheaper food if much of what you pay for goes straight through the dog.

I think "cereal protein" means soy. Soy and wheat are two common allergens to dogs. Personally, I'd avoid foods with wheat.

You might find this website useful for evaluating foods. It's American but the same principles apply and some of the same foods are available here.

If you want to make a good dog food go further, alternate feeding it with chicken wings or carcasses. It's great for the dog and your pocket. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Yep, i'm aware there are better brands, but price is a factor. Optimum is $78 for 18kg , Advance is $100 for15kg bag, which is starting to push it...

With Advance, keep your eye out for 'Bonus' bags where you get 33% extra for no cost. So, the 15kg bag becomes 20kg. Sometimes I find them at Petbarn etc, but couldn't recently so I ordered from http://www.dogfood.com.au Their price for the Advance Adult 15kg bag with bonus 5kg (so 20kg in total) is $97.60. If you order over $130 delivery is free to most places, and they delivered to me in a regional area the next day.