Diarrhea In Dog

tooshypanda

Just a quick question about doggy diarrhea. My dog ate something that didnt agree with him on Sunday afternoon. This morning he had runny poop and tonight its gone to full blown liquid faeces.

Do I just look after him like a human?

Such as giving him water for the next 24 hours and feed him bland foods?

Or does it call for a vet visit? He hasnt ever had diarrhea before so I am unsure.

He's an adult dog, right?

If there's no blood in the diarrhoea, and he looks bright and healthy otherwise, I'd give him a day or two before seeing the vet.

Make sure he's drinking plenty of fluids (bait the water with meat broth to get him to drink if necessary), keep him warm, and like you say, feed bland foods.

If you are sarisfied that everything else is fine with the health of the dog then you could try cooking up some chicken & rice.

depending on the size of your dog (I have Dobermanns) I usually fill a large pot with water and add a whole double chicken breast & a frame or 2 and simmer them for an hour to really cook them and get flavour into the stock, then I add a couple of cups of rice and let it cook for at leat 3 times the time specified so that it is overcooked. After simmering the rice and when the pot is ready, I remove the chicken frames and discard them (Do Not Feed Cooked Bones to the dog) I then carefully drain the pot keeping the stock and separating the chicken & rice, I fork shred the chicken and put it into a container in the fridge and the rice also goes into a container. Make sure that all the items are well refridgerated and used within 3 days.

When feeding your dog - feed a few times a day in smal quantities (warm the stock slightly - so blood temp) start with just the stock which has starch from the rice - then slowly add a small amount of rice to the stock and make it like soup with rice - then add more rice and less stock - finally serve just the rice and chicken mix adding in the chicken slowly so a not to overwhelm the gut with too much protein.

I hope that is some help to you. Don't forget to update your pups condition for us too please :laugh:

Thanks for the help!!

Yes he is an adult dog - 12 months old.

He perked up a bit this morning - I gave him some broth and he seemed to like it quite a bit.I will give him rice and chicken tomorrow He was at a doggy birthday party on Sunday and there was a doggy cake made of treats - and he ate too much.

The birthday doggy had explosive diarrhea so at least I didnt have that to work with that :(

He was playing with his little brother today so he seems a lot better.. and its good to know what to do in future :love:

A wealth of information at DOL!

EDIT: Little brother just got the runs... smells like death. I am going to watch him overnight and if it gets worse off to the vets - he is only a puppy (13 weeks)

Edited by tooshypanda

With my furkids if they get diarrhoea and it doesn't resolve within 24-36 hrs with Peptosyl( animal version of KaoMagna) then it is off to the Vets.I would rather err on the side of caution than lose of of my furkids. I always also check the capillary refill of the membranes( push your finger on the dog's gums and see if it refills quickly or whether it is a dull pink colour that doesn't refill after you take your finger off- this is an indication the dog is dehydrated).

You can even telephone your Vet and get some advice over the phone.

EFS

Edited by InspectorRex