Yellow Sludge / Slime On Faeces

Lizzy06

Sorry to chat about a yucky topic but my girl has pancreatitas. I have recently changed her diet to fish and sweet potato to see if it stops her flare ups. But lately i have noticed a yellow sludge possibly thick mucous stuff on and sometimes in her poop.

What would it be?

I'm thinking about taking a sample to the vet as i have noticed it on and off for 1 week now. So i was wondering what do they check for? what tests do the run on it? Also does anyone know a rough price? I've spent thousands on her so i'm hoping it is not very expensive.

Edited by Lizzy06

I think a Vet visit is warranted and take a sample with you.

It could be nothing, it could be a precursor to pancreatitis or it could be something else.

A faecal analysis tells the Vet if there is any blood present, and how well the food is being digested.

Just took a sample to the vet. It is being sent to the lab.... going to cost me $245. I hope i get some kind of answer. I have spent thousands and thousands on this dog!

think they only check for parasites and bacteria so i still might not get an answer of what the muccous stuff is!

Considering her history of pancreatitis it would be worth testing her for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. It involves a simple blood test. This disease can follow bouts of pancreatitis and causes the cessation of production of the enzymes that break down food in the intestines. The yellow slime may be an oily residue from fats that have not been digested.

Just a thought.

Considering her history of pancreatitis it would be worth testing her for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. It involves a simple blood test. This disease can follow bouts of pancreatitis and causes the cessation of production of the enzymes that break down food in the intestines. The yellow slime may be an oily residue from fats that have not been digested.

Just a thought.

Yes i thought that but i have her on enzyplex enzymes that she has been on for a year now. So that would stop that from happening i would think?

The thing is i had her on Royal Canin low fat digestive food. When she showed she was in pain i decided to change her diet as i felt that the food just was not working for her so she is only on fish and sweet potato at the moment. The abnormal poop started after being on the new diet. I think besides the poop having the slime on it every now and again she appears to be ok. (her natural vet Barbara from all antural vet care recommended trying her on fish and potato, i have phone consulations with her.)