Rash...on Me?

pmiller

Hi All,

Well, it sort of is a dog problem but nothing I think we can do for him.

I have a 10 month old CKCS. At times when he gets playful he does scratch me. Not hard, doesn't draw blood. Just some minor scratch marks on the surface of the skin as he tries to grab a ball etc.

However, a couple of days later I develop a rash on my skin (lasts about a week and a half). Went to the doc today who thinks it is an allergy. Got some cream to put on it.

I'm not allergic to him in any other way except when he scratches me.

Anyone else in this situation. Is there anything I can do (i.e. cleaning his paws etc).

Any advice appreciated!

You could try to dremel his nails or take him to a groomer who can do this. That will shorten his nails and make them smoother. I would also be discouraging him from scratching you (or anyone else). He needs to learn how to play gently with humans unlike the rough and tumble of playing with other puppies.

Great advice on how to trim nails here: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html

Dremel is just a brand name (US, made in Mexico) and grinds down the nail, rather than cutting it.

Ozito make the same thing-- is a "rotary tool".

eta: Allergy from a scratch? Perhaps it's whatever your dog's nails have been in contact with e.g. grass, plants?

Edited by Poodle wrangler