Very Itchy Dog

wuffles

I have had great results with Combination D Tissue Salts. It takes around 10days of treatment twice a day before you see any results but has worked wonders for my itchy boys. It obviously won't work if there is an underlying cause but for around $15 from any health shop I always try this first

How do you give tissue salts to a dog? You're meant to suck on the pills or disolve in water...which method works best for you?

I just drop a couple in with his food twice a day. I have told a few people about them and they seem to work in about 50% of cases. Not straight away though so give them twice a day for at least 2-3 weeks.

To relieve the itch try soaking him in a lukewarm bath with Alpha Keri Oil added to it for about 15min then let him air dry or use a hair dryer on low heat. Do not towel off or you will remove the oil. He will come out looking like he has been slicked with hair oil but it does not stain and the skin and coat will keep absorbing the oil over a few days. I have also, always used phenergan antihistamine as a first line treatment for a suddenly itchy dog. Sometimes a few days of antihistamine will knock the reaction on the head and stop it developing into anything more serious.

He hasn't been vaccinated in the last few weeks by any chance has he, especially with the heartworm injection? My dogs both became itchy after heartworm injections, two years in a row. I no longer use it but highly suspect that it was the cause of the itches. It is also possible that an ordinary vaccination will prompt the immune system to temporarily over-react to something that does not normally worry him.

Dont know if it is of any help, Marlin had horrible rash on her tummy, was some time before I realised that the Rheo she loved hiding in was related to wandering jew :( Poor baby, found that dusting her frequently with curash powder helped heaps. Cleared up as soon as I ripped out all the offending plants, trouble is they are about the only ground cover I can grow :laugh: