Very Itchy Dog

wuffles

Hi all,

I know a lot of people here have experience with itchy dogs so thought I'd put this out there in case anyone has any suggestions!

Our dog started itching nearly two weeks ago. After a few days of progressively worse itchiness, I gave him a bath with Rufus & Coco Anti Itch Shampoo (contains selenium sulfide) which helped for a day. Took him to the vet on Tuesday when he was still itchy and developed a hot spot on his thigh. He had a cortisone injection, and is being treated for sarcoptic mange with Revolution "just in case" as the vet couldn't think of any other reason he'd be so itchy (and he gets walked in reserve near our house that is also home to foxes).

Anyway, he's been better for the past few days but is now getting very itchy again :( He has an Elizabethan collar to stop him bothering his hot spot but he's still trying to itch all over. His skin is quite red, but not bumpy. He's itchy in the "usual" places -- his belly, front legs, underarms, chest and rump. His face seems a little itchy but his ears seem fine.

He's about 4 or 5 years old, we've had him 1.5 years and hasn't shown any itchiness before. There's nothing new in our yard or house, his diet hasn't changed at all. His coat has been lovely and silky and his skin fine, it is losing a bit of condition now but still doesn't look too bad considering. He definitely has no fleas.

It is driving him crazy, none of us are getting any sleep and we hate to see him like this! Anyone think of anything else we should try? :p

The vet treated him without a skin scraping? Weird!

The most likely is an allergy.

It could be almost anything... :p

grass, pollen, WANDERING DEW creeper, beef, food colourings, flea treaments, grains etc etc etc...

What is he getting fed? and what has changed in the yard/park/garden with the onset of Spring?

Oh- and a skin scraping should be requested.. only takes a minute, and mites can be seen, if they are present- that way , at least you'll know, and be able to begin 'disinfecting' the bedding/house, etc too !

Edited by persephone

Thanks for the replies. From what I have been told, sarcoptic mites commonly don't show up on skin scrapings anyway, is this correct? At this rate we will probably be back at the vet in the next few days so I will definitely request a scraping.

Nothing has changed in the yard that we can tell. There is no Wandering Jew and we keep the grass short. There are a lot of grass seeds around the place (not in our yard) but that is no different to last spring. Since he got itchy I have been keeping him off the grass as much as possible on our walks.

I haven't used any new flea treatments, shampoos, etc.

He's being fed Royal Canin since we got him, he only gets chicken bones, plus sardines twice a week. We haven't introduced anything new into his diet, including treats.

I have had great results with Combination D Tissue Salts. It takes around 10days of treatment twice a day before you see any results but has worked wonders for my itchy boys. It obviously won't work if there is an underlying cause but for around $15 from any health shop I always try this first

Can't post pics right now but there are some in my older posts - he still looks the same - he hasn't shown any other symptoms except the itch, his energy levels are fine and he's happy enough considering he's wearing a bucket on his head :laugh:

Allergies can come on at any age - and generally worsen with age.

I would agree with your vet to rule out scabies mites - we had to do this as part of Orbits allergy diagnosis.

My advice would be to get a referral to a dermatologist - no offence to your vet, but I find it strange they would say they couldn't think of any other reason for the itching. The dermatologist can start you on a path to determining the cause and then follow an appropriate treatment plan.

Either that, or maybe consider a 2nd opinion from a general vet...

Try not to bath him with shampoos. Give him a bath in Calendula Tea. This is just marigold flowers (dried) and you can purchase it for around $8 a packet from your health food store. From my own experience you should see a reduction in the redness of the skin and itchiness within 24 hours. If it remains (albeit reduced) treat him again.

Of course the redness and itchiness will keep coming back if the cause for this skin irritation is still there. But the tea/wash should help to ease the discomfort to his skin. You can use a spray bottle to wet him up with it and/or a cloth soaked in it.

I presume you haven't changed diet or anything in recent times? Even food treats?

I would agree with your vet to rule out scabies mites - we had to do this as part of Orbits allergy diagnosis.

My advice would be to get a referral to a dermatologist - no offence to your vet, but I find it strange they would say they couldn't think of any other reason for the itching. The dermatologist can start you on a path to determining the cause and then follow an appropriate treatment plan.

Just to clarify, the vet did agree that if it isn't scabies, it is most likely an allergy - just seems strange that nothing in the environment has changed so can't pinpoint anything in particular. I will ask about the dermatologist next time - thanks :laugh:

My staffy x gets a summer itch every year since I have had her. She never had it at rescue but it started as soon as she got into our yard. I find Pawpaw ointment is good to help settle it down (if its a contact allergy) and it also leaves a little barrier for protection, however its not good if they are an inside dog, I can tell you that from experience lol. I also keep a bottle of Neocort on hand for any bad flare ups and also hot spots.

My girl has only had one hot spot and she got it from laying on the grass, near her water bowl, where the water drips constantly to keep it fresh. The grass was humid due to the water and this caused the hot spot. She also gets an outbreak of the itchies straight after we have mowed the lawn or after watering it. I tend to keep her inside a LOT during summer just to avoid it.

Good luck, its awful seeing them so uncomfortable and not being able to pinpoint the cause.

Just to clarify, the vet did agree that if it isn't scabies, it is most likely an allergy - just seems strange that nothing in the environment has changed so can't pinpoint anything in particular. I will ask about the dermatologist next time - thanks :laugh:

Ahh right. Unfortunately nothing needs to change in the environment for them to develop allergies. It's more that they start to become allergic to things they have been around for long periods of time- both environmental and foods.

Goodluck and I hope you get some answers!

I presume you have looked into food related allergies???

Dogs can have reactions to say a protein source that they have been previously able to tolerate well which can cause skin problems.

Another thought - around here we get little flying midges, seasonal, and they produce the same problems that you have been describing.

I use Advantix which is advertised as repelling mosquitoes and that solves the problem. Don't know if what you are using does the same thing?

For those that have mentioned food allergies, how likely would it be for these allergies literally to present overnight without a diet change? For example no itching one day and quite intense itching the next? Would the itch be present all over his body or only certain parts?

I guess that it would depend on what you are feeding.

I have a bitch that went from tolerating food from any protein source to only tolerating 1 source of protein now.

Everything has to start somewhere and you may not have noticed the early signs - presuming that that is the cause of course.

The allergy/itchiness has to come from somewhere whether it is from insects, plants or food is for your detective skills to ascertain.

I have had great results with Combination D Tissue Salts. It takes around 10days of treatment twice a day before you see any results but has worked wonders for my itchy boys. It obviously won't work if there is an underlying cause but for around $15 from any health shop I always try this first

How do you give tissue salts to a dog? You're meant to suck on the pills or disolve in water...which method works best for you?

If I could give you any advice from having a dog with allergic skin disease, if you don't see it cleared up after the Cortisone injection get in to see a Dermatologist straight away, the longer you leave it the harder it can be to get on top of things.

As Stormie said nothing has to change in the environment or diet for a dog to become allergic to something, that is the nature of life unfortunately and allergic dogs tend to become allergic to more and more things as the years role on.

Even in humans this happens i.e. as a 30 year old who never has suffered allergies, in the last 6 months I have started to experience them.