Skin Condition In X-breed

Hi,

I remember seeing a post a while ago on allergies in shepherds but can't find it. I used to have a shepherd x kelpie from the RSPCA who was allergic to everything, grass, fleas, pollen, red meat, bones.... I now have another rescue who was very short coated when he was little, I know he has ridgeback in the x because his litter mates had ridges, anyway, he has developed a very shepherd coat and now at 11 months has started showing signs of a similar allergy to my last shepherd, dry flaky skin, hair loss on lower back and slight redness and thickening under his belly and between his legs. The vet says it's just an allergy, no mites and these are the things I've tried to no avail.

Advocate, bathing in Malaseb, chicken and rice diet.

What else can I try? It drove me made with my last dog and I never found an answer after 8 years.

Hair loss on the lower back is very typical of flea allergy dermatitis. I'd be treating for fleas vigorously.

With regards to the diet, I wouldn't just do chicken and rice - the idea behind a food elimination trial is to feed them something they've previously never eaten before, so chicken and rice would be the worst thing because that's in everything!

I'd also be thoroughly checking your yard for irritant plants like wandering jew.

Goodluck!!

It is more than likely that the diet is the cause of the immune system dysfunction.

Most dogs cant tolerate grains & cereals as they were never designed to eat them as the carnivores they are!

Rice is probably the worst thing other than corn that you can give a dog on a regular basis (yet most commercial products contain 1 or both ingredients!) These such carbs covert to sugars in the body & feed Candida which is a yeast infection in a dog (same as humans).....Canine Candida is a rampant problem that goes undiagnosed 99% of the time, and only the "symptoms" are treated..........

Remove the grains & cereals for 1 month & you should have detoxed your dog enough to see a marked improvement.

My kelpie x dog has allergies, but we think they are to grass as we mowed the paddock on the weekend and he has been a bit less red. We use nappy rash cream and bathe him in malaseb every 2 weeks.

He also Eukanuba sensitive, fish oil and antihistamines every night.

It is more than likely that the diet is the cause of the immune system dysfunction.

Most dogs cant tolerate grains & cereals as they were never designed to eat them as the carnivores they are!

Rice is probably the worst thing other than corn that you can give a dog on a regular basis (yet most commercial products contain 1 or both ingredients!) These such carbs covert to sugars in the body & feed Candida which is a yeast infection in a dog (same as humans).....Canine Candida is a rampant problem that goes undiagnosed 99% of the time, and only the "symptoms" are treated..........

Remove the grains & cereals for 1 month & you should have detoxed your dog enough to see a marked improvement.

That's a really big assumption, grains and cereals may have nothing to do with this dogs condition....worth a try but I don't think giving an almost dagonisis is appropriate?

Hi,

I remember seeing a post a while ago on allergies in shepherds but can't find it. I used to have a shepherd x kelpie from the RSPCA who was allergic to everything, grass, fleas, pollen, red meat, bones.... I now have another rescue who was very short coated when he was little, I know he has ridgeback in the x because his litter mates had ridges, anyway, he has developed a very shepherd coat and now at 11 months has started showing signs of a similar allergy to my last shepherd, dry flaky skin, hair loss on lower back and slight redness and thickening under his belly and between his legs. The vet says it's just an allergy, no mites and these are the things I've tried to no avail.

Advocate, bathing in Malaseb, chicken and rice diet.

What else can I try? It drove me made with my last dog and I never found an answer after 8 years.

Malaseb is very drying to the coat and skin so maybe talk to vet about another option depending on the nature of the allergy. Aloveen may be suitable or pyohex both of which are less harsh on the coat. Aloveen also does a wonderful leave in conditioner (which can also be used as handcream and smells delightful).