8 Week Lab + 9 Month Lab ?

lisat

We are very excited to be picking up our new male Labrador puppy this weekend he will be 8 weeks old. We currently have a very beautiful male Labrador 9 month old and he is generally well behaved and trained. He has a penned off area to our fully enclosed patio/Sunroom that has a dog door with full outside access to a big backyard.

I am seeking advice on how much time they should have together, mainly during the night and on the 3 days a week while I am at work. We are worried about the puppy getting to much activity for his bones and not enough sleep.

Around what age should we increase this time together?

Are there any other things we need to keep an eye on?

At meal times we will also make sure they have their own areas.

We will be asking the breeder for his advice but if anyone can help with any suggestions it is appreciated.

Many Thanks Lisa

When I had a new puppy come to live with us I wouldn't let them alone with the older dog, both 7.5 at the time, until the pup had grown & was able to take the exuberance & strength of the older dog. Once they became used to each other & I felt they could be reasonably trusted they were left alone in the backyard while I went out. As I don't work it wasn't for long.

In your case I'd set up a long term confinement area in the house for the pup with bed or crate, some sort of toilet substrate, water & some safe toys. Like a puppy pen, laundry or bathroom, as long as they were puppy safe.

We are very excited to be picking up our new male Labrador puppy this weekend he will be 8 weeks old. We currently have a very beautiful male Labrador 9 month old and he is generally well behaved and trained. He has a penned off area to our fully enclosed patio/Sunroom that has a dog door with full outside access to a big backyard.

I am seeking advice on how much time they should have together, mainly during the night and on the 3 days a week while I am at work. We are worried about the puppy getting to much activity for his bones and not enough sleep.

Around what age should we increase this time together?

Are there any other things we need to keep an eye on?

At meal times we will also make sure they have their own areas.

We will be asking the breeder for his advice but if anyone can help with any suggestions it is appreciated.

Many Thanks Lisa

Are you saying you are going to have them sleep together, I would not be leaving an 8 week old pup with a 9 month old pup unsupervised AT ALL, at 9 months old they don't know their own strenght and could hurt the puppy badly or worse, kill it,( not intentionally of course) sounds dramatic I know, but at 8 weeks the pup is unable to defend itself against the bigger dog.

Thanks for your replies. No they are fully separated with a wooden banister, then a puppy pen and cage. We never ever leave them unsupervised for a minute at this stage, we are very careful that the 8 week old is very protected and doesnt get too much activity. I guess my question is when should we be able to increase this, but from all the advice from the vet and the breeder is to monitor and slowly increase the time as the pup gets older.