Silent Training Collar

I haven't used one.

But personally, I like that the chain has a noise to it. When the noise is paired with the correction by the dog, sometimes the sound of the chain itself can become a sufficient 'correction' for some dogs, without needing to always follow through to the physical element of the correction.

It is for this reason I prefer the chain section of martingales as well, rather than the webbing style that is often used instead of that chain component.

I also wonder at how fast the "silent training collar" would deliver the correction by comparison to the chain. Timing is one of the keys to training, both in delivery of reinforcers as well as in the delivery of corrections.

Edited by Erny

I haven't used one.

But personally, I like that the chain has a noise to it. When the noise is paired with the correction by the dog, sometimes the sound of the chain itself can become a sufficient 'correction' for some dogs, without needing to always follow through to the physical element of the correction.

It is for this reason I prefer the chain section of martingales as well, rather than the webbing style that is often used instead of that chain component.

I also wonder at how fast the "silent training collar" would deliver the correction by comparison to the chain. Timing is one of the keys to training, both in delivery of reinforcers as well as in the delivery of corrections.

I'm gonna buy one cos they aren't too steep on the wallet, so I'll let you know :cry:

I haven't used one.

I agree Erny, but when it looks like someone's shaved the side of your dogs neck you've gotta do something :D .

I've been looking for a solution for a while because, as you said, most of these collars look thick/wide and therefore have a slow delivery of the correction. These are a couple that I decided against:-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I like the Silent Training Collar not because it's "silent" but because it's thin/fine and therefore a quicker correction. That's the plan anyway :thumbsup:

I haven't used one.

That's a very good point you raised Erny with the "rattle of the chain" where I have experienced that in a very pronounced way between a Black Dog martingale with a fabric coupling and silent to any chain with a rattle component. I have noticed that even a wiggle on the leash and a chain rattle corrects the dog which with a silent collar would require a higher level of correction to achieve the same result, and a reason why I don't like the fabric Black Dog training collar.

That's a very good point you raised Erny with the "rattle of the chain" where I have experienced that in a very pronounced way between a Black Dog martingale with a fabric coupling and silent to any chain with a rattle component. I have noticed that even a wiggle on the leash and a chain rattle corrects the dog which with a silent collar would require a higher level of correction to achieve the same result, and a reason why I don't like the fabric Black Dog training collar.

Thanks Diablo. There's something else too, that I have noticed, but I don't know if it is something that is peculiar only to me. That is that I too can more easily 'hear' (ie not only 'feel') the message I'm sending to the dog I'm working with - IE how 'clean' and how quick the correction was/is, through the sound of the chain. Is this just me, or do others notice this too?

Here are some pics of a deadlocked fursaver with links removed to fit the dogs neck firmly which eliminates hair loss, fast in reaction and is the preferred collar that we have been instructed to use in Schutzhund training and is working extremely well.

post-31373-1255867804_thumb.jpg

post-31373-1255867822_thumb.jpg

Edited by Diablo

Thanks Diablo. There's something else too, that I have noticed, but I don't know if it is something that is peculiar only to me. That is that I too can more easily 'hear' (ie not only 'feel') the message I'm sending to the dog I'm working with - IE how 'clean' and how quick the correction was/is, through the sound of the chain. Is this just me, or do others notice this too?

YES absolutely :thumbsup: .... I actually used the fabric martingale for a couple of months to allow our boy's hair to grow back on the side of his neck and struggled with a clean sharp correction. The dog was farily good at the time, but to start a dog on the fabric collar where they need a sharp correction phase in training, the feel was wrong. You tend to have the feel of the "flick" like a cracking a whip where it's timed perfectly which I can only attain properly with a chain...you are "spot on" with that description :D The other thing especially with a hard temperament GSD, they can desensitise to corrections when applying them too often, with the chain you have a two stage correction with the "rattle" and then a pop if necessary.

Edited by Diablo

Here are some pics of a deadlocked fursaver with links removed to fit the dogs neck firmly which eliminates hair loss, fast in reaction and is the preferred collar that we have been instructed to use in Schutzhund training and is working extremely well.

Looks good, but how do you correct the dog without the tightening aspect? Wouldn't it be the same as a flat collar in terms of just pressure at the front of the throat/neck as they pull, and there's no real way to get a clean correction/pop on the leash?

ETA ~ never mind, found your reply in my other thread :thumbsup:

Edited by ~ShelleAndShyla~

Looks good, but how do you correct the dog without the tightening aspect? Wouldn't it be the same as a flat collar in terms of just pressure at the front of the throat/neck as they pull, and there's no real way to get a clean correction/pop on the leash?

ETA ~ never mind, found your reply in my other thread :thumbsup:

Shelle, just to elaborate on the correction, it's not the tightening action of the collar that provides the correction..........with a heavy puller on a choker chain they keep pulling even when becoming choked, they are coughing and spluttering and still pulling, grab a breath and pull again. The correction amounts to the speed and sharpness of applying it with the timing of it most critical. For example you are walking along with a loose leash dog by your side and it begins to head towards a tree for a sniff. It's best to have some leash gathered up where as soon as your short leash tightens as the dog pulls, drop the slack to give the dog full leash and at the same time crack the leash back towards you, timed perfectly would be at the same time the dog reaches the end of the leash. It's the shock and sharpness of the pop that overrides the dog's desire to sniff the tree..........like the dog thinks, "geez what was that" :D and you have regained it's attention with a "NO" command, it soon gets the message. That's the principal around the correction, it's shock and sharpness not strangulation as such. :heart:

Edited by Diablo

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't used one.

I agree Erny, but when it looks like someone's shaved the side of your dogs neck you've gotta do something :love: .

I've been looking for a solution for a while because, as you said, most of these collars look thick/wide and therefore have a slow delivery of the correction. These are a couple that I decided against:-

I like the Silent Training Collar not because it's "silent" but because it's thin/fine and therefore a quicker correction. That's the plan anyway :(

Well the Silent Training Collar arrived yesterday (9 days delivery :( ) and after trying it today I have to say I'm happy with it. With the cord being so thin the rings slide as quickly as if it were a check chain, and yes without the "sound". My GSD seems to be working just as well with this collar and hopefully she will have a full coat on the side of her neck in the very near future :)