Help With Whining Puppy

foxy0711

Hi!

I'm an new/old member. Haven't been on for awhile. But since last time have added a new addition to my family, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Sophie. She is 11 weeks old today, she is gorgeous and I love her too bits.

One problem with her though: girls got a set of lungs on her like nothing I have ever heard and she is BIG on using them when she can't get her own way. She is outside a bit with the 2 other dogs but we have a doggy door so when thats unlocked she can come back inside when she wants too, however during the day I am at work. My mum is at home for part of the day but when she goes out, Sophie obviously can't stay inside alone, and when she can't get back inside she makes it known, and it is a terrible terrible noise!

Now I have made it clear to everyone do NOT pay her attention or give her what she wants when she is doing this, but is there anything else I can do, because the stay at my mums is only temporary whilst I am building a house, and when that is finished in DEC/JAN she will be coming with me along with my other dog Peppy, and they will be at home during the day while I am at work and I don't wont her howling down the neighbourhood all day!

So any tips/hints/suggestions would be appreciated!

Here are some pictures of her:

DSCF2331.jpg

DSCF2341.jpg

Cheers

Cass

awww... she is gorgeous!!!!

my advice is to let the neighbours know that you have a puppy that likes to test out her lungs and her vocal skills (in very high volume), and that she is still getting use to her new life. But, just ignore her crying and her demands.

Also, leave something outside for her to keep her amused for a while.. like Kong, frozen chicken neck or scatter dry food around the yard, so she can find it. Find ways of keeping her busy while everyone is out for a few hours.

also, have you tried walking her and try to get her tired before leaving her alone? she's still little, so maybe a quick 5 minute walk down the street... this also really stimilates her mind, seeing and smelling new things. also, teach her tricks too.. because nothing zonk out a puppy faster than using their brain on learning a new trick.. :)

a tired puppy is a sleepy puppy, and a sleepy puppy is a quiet puppy.. well, unless she snores like Charlie :laugh: Does she have a bed outside where she can go to sleep? maybe being outside, she doesn't feel safe?

good luck :)

She's gorgeous. Ignore her by not looking at her, pushing her away, talking to whenever she's doing something you don't want. Any attention, good or bad, is what she wants. Whenever she's quiet is the time to tell her she's being good by giving a treat or cuddle.

Free downloads of books Before & After You Get Your Puppy by Dr Ian Dunbar. Are you taking her to puppy pre school?

www.dogstardaily.com

I am in a similar situation currently building a house and trying to keep an 8 week old SBT entertained...its not easy. I can sympathize with the noise too, the shill cries, squeels, howls you name it he does it. If I recorded the sounds he makes, I'm sure it would make a great horror movie soundtrack :champagne:

In the 4 days I have had him I have been doing the following:

Every day after morning play/learning session is over, I will give him one hour "alone" time before lunch. Ofcourse he hates seeing me leave his play area in the backyard, then the cries/howls etc start.

After about 5+ minutes of this, he starts to realize he won't be getting any attention and then he just mopes off and lies down. Obviously in that one hour he does do a little more whinging off and on, but in just 4 days I noticed that each day is a little better than the last.

Then when one hour is almost over, I will only go to him when he is NOT whining and by this time he is pretty well exhausted, has his lunch then a nice long sleep.

Now I know one hour is hardly enough time each day to get out and do house building stuff, but I figure getting her into a routine over time will allow you to get out a bit more. I am also hoping in this time the cries will subside.

No puppy expert here, but just my 2cents! Good luck