Parachute Cord On Long Lines-how Strong Is It?

I purchased one of these light long lines from air dogs the other day http://www.airdogs.com.au/agility/product....=255&page=1

but was not aware it was so thin.Anyway once I got it I googled the brand it was to see if there was any mention of the materials used as there was no mention on the Airdogs site and found out on the Genuine Dog Gear website it's actually parachute cord.I'm imagining it would have to be pretty strong :clap: to be used for parachutes

http://www.genuinedoggear.com/GDL-LGHT-20-...ning_lines.html

I didn't particuarly like the size of the clip they used so replaced it with a stronger one but love the compactness of it.Was able to pop it in my treat bag under my snap lock bag and can take it anywhere.

Just wondered if anyone else has one and If you found it reliable?

Edited by 4 Paws

Would it not cut into your hands if it slipped through fast enough?

I had a cord line do that to me when I unexpectedly had to make a grab for someone else's dog's lead to stop it from running to the road. Sliced deep into my hand and sliced off a corner tip of my finger.

Pain was unreal.

I wanted to buy one of those retractable leads for my dog but I'd probably have to put a wire tracer on it to stop her biting through it, and build the reel end of it much stronger. She's a catte dog x and the shop guy said don't bother. Clearly they're not up to the job with a dog that can really pull - he would have had the broken ones back.

The other problem with these (or more like the dog owners) is that if the dog on it does run circles around any other dog, it does cut.

I use a horse rope lead, and loop it round my waist and clip it back to itself when I'm not using it. It's soft on my hands, and doubles as a tug toy, and takes quite a long time to chew through, not like the webbing style leads that my dog cuts in two inside 30 seconds.

I had a cord line do that to me when I unexpectedly had to make a grab for someone else's dog's lead to stop it from running to the road. Sliced deep into my hand and sliced off a corner tip of my finger.

Pain was unreal.

I'm hoping i never have to find out Erny!I just got it out and run my hand along it quite fast a few times but does not seem to bad but that could be a different story if I ever had to make a grab

I just love thats it's so compact and can fit into the bottom of my treat bag so you always have it handy.

I had it at training on saturday and as one og my gsd's has not been to training for so long and can be a bit reactive to other dogs,when it was time to do a sit stay I just whipped it out and put it on her and went back the distance the lead was and just held the handle

I've had the same experience, slashed my wrist which was a little awkward to explain to people! I went a bought a proper tracking line after that, which is really nice to handle and has a rubber weight at the end which reduces tangles and gives you something to put your foot on if required.

What I do like to use really thin lines for is a "dropped leash" drill, the line is attached to the leash. We're pretty sure the dog will come when called by that stage, and if he doesn't we don't hold onto the thin line, but have it tied to something else that we can put our foot on.

What I do like to use really thin lines for is a "dropped leash" drill, the line is attached to the leash. We're pretty sure the dog will come when called by that stage, and if he doesn't we don't hold onto the thin line, but have it tied to something else that we can put our foot on.

It was a similar set up that the dog that I 'saved' had. Ordinary lead to which was tied the cord. The dog had broken its stay from behind me and all I saw was it streak past next to me. Instinct had me grabbing the lead as it shot through from behind me which was ok even though it at first slid through my hand. My hand tightened grip and that's when the cord came through and did the damage. By that stage, it had plenty of speed up and it all happened in the blink of an eye. So much blood that I wasn't sure at first how much of my finger tip was missing. I remember staring at my hand as though it didn't belong to me. But after a minute the numbing gave way to the pain and I very much knew then the hand was definitely mine :rainbowbridge:.

I shudder at the use of anything cord-like (or for that matter, rope-like) in the way of leads for whatever reason or convenience they might have for the person who owns them.

Edited by Erny