Want To Feed Raw...please Help.

Sam8927

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a 10 week old male staffy named Duke. I have been feeding him Eukanaba dry, and optimum canned for breakfast, a chicken wing at lunch and a combination of eukanaba dry and a mix I make up of chicken mince, pasta, rice, mixed veg and garlic. I really want to ensure he is getting the best start possible. Can someone maybe give me a menu plan with how much of each thing I should be feeding and how many times a days? I am not very good at making up a menu plan even for myself when I am dieting, but I can follow a menu plan to the letter lol.

I hope to learn lots from here.

Sam

Purchase yourself some books and read read read. BARF BOOKS

One thing that you will learn is that dogs do not need pasta, rice or any other grain food in their diet. Many are allergic to grains. So you can start off by cutting the pasta & rice out of your puppies diet.

You will also learn that everything should be raw and that you must include consumable bone with muscle meats.

A pup should be fed 10% of it's body weigh daily, which is split up into 3 meals.

There are many threads on feeding RAW in the health section.

For pups I would feed two meals a day of minced chicken carcusses with pulped veggies and a rotating selection of other muscle meats, fish, offal dairy etc. The other meal would consist of a raw meaty bone.

Other threads on this topic to read:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...20diet&st=0

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...barf+puppy+diet

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=172826

Edited by puggy_puggy

Thanks for your reply. I will def start the reading. Just wondering whether the BARF rolls that you get at the pet shop are equivelent to what they should be eating? Is it ok to feed a 10 week old puppy raw or do they need dry food aswell?

Just wondering whether the BARF rolls that you get at the pet shop are equivelent to what they should be eating?

If they are the real deal that contains minced bones as well as meat veggies etc they are perfect. There are quite a few pet produce stores that make up their own BARF patties/mixture. If you were going to feed patties then I would feed them for two meals and the third would be the raw meaty bone. Always remembering only to feed 10% of th epups weight a day.

Is it ok to feed a 10 week old puppy raw or do they need dry food aswell?

If you are are feeding a correct raw diet get rid of the dry food completely.

I'm feeding my pup (11 week old Rottie) with a combination of BARF patties, chicken necks and wings and beef bones. She's getting smaller meals a day, as with 3 her stomach would be empty by about 5AM and she'd start retching and throw up stomach juices. I'm by no means and expert, but the BARF diet seems simple enough to follow - my biggest problem is making sure I don't overfeed my girl. She's only getting about 6-8% of bodyweight per day, but looks to be in great condition. I was cautioned by the vet to keep her lean and make sure she didn't grow "too fast" to avoid skeletal problems. Bit hard knowing what too fast is, but keeping her a bit hungry seems to do the trick.