Puppy Doesnt Like Eukanuba Kibble

finalflash

Got money back on Euk kibble, bought Royal Canin was going to go nutro but they had no big bags left ..

Got home put down 2 cups of RC and pup gobbled it up in minutes.. He has NEVER done that with the Euk .. so far so good.. even the kibble looks and smells moist the Euk had no smell and was brittle to the touch almost

Got money back on Euk kibble, bought Royal Canin was going to go nutro but they had no big bags left ..

Got home put down 2 cups of RC and pup gobbled it up in minutes.. He has NEVER done that with the Euk .. so far so good.. even the kibble looks and smells moist the Euk had no smell and was brittle to the touch almost

Hi

I have a 14 week old sammy who has been on Royal Canin from the breeder, he recommended I soak 1/2 cup for at least 2 hours in for morning and night feeds for about 2 months, then simply add a bit of water when serving - by the time he's 12 months he will be on 2cups a day of Royal Canin in one meal.

I'll attach below my breeder's recommendations for feeding my sammy:-

He is on Royal Canin – Medium Junior and about ½ a cup both morning and night at the moment. You will need to increase this slowly as he gets older. As an adult (12months) he will only be on 1 meal a day and should be only getting 2 cups a day. This will be plenty for him. He should weigh as an adult no more than 25-27kg.

If you are going to continue with the premium food you really shouldn’t mix his food and give him fresh meat. The problem if you do is that you tend to upset the balance of the actual formula of the food. The premium foods are a complete diet and you really don’t need to feed anything else.

You need to pre-soak his food for about the next 2 months and then you can go onto giving it to him just with the water on his dinner. Never feed him just dry without the water. You will do this forever.

As for bones they are fine on a once a month basis as they do need them for their teeth but they are very fatty. NEVER give cooked bones, only raw. You can also give him chicken necks from now on if you want. 1 a week would be fine on top of his dinner.

Obviously your pup is a little older, but I hope this can be of some benefit (or perhaps I've been led astray and there's more advice for me? LOL)

Never feed him just dry without the water. You will do this forever.

you dont need to soak your dogs food - I have had many breeds all on RC and no one has it soaked unless they are feeling ill or weak. I have no idea why anyone would do this ?! hmph interesting

I feed RC and I also feed raw meaty bones, food scraps etc dogs are fairly resilient and edible bones are good for their teeth. If you feed large amounts of raw mince yes you are throwing out the balance but edible bones with some meat on them wont harm anything.

Hi

I have a 14 week old sammy who has been on Royal Canin from the breeder, he recommended I soak 1/2 cup for at least 2 hours in for morning and night feeds for about 2 months, then simply add a bit of water when serving - by the time he's 12 months he will be on 2cups a day of Royal Canin in one meal.

I'll attach below my breeder's recommendations for feeding my sammy:-

He is on Royal Canin – Medium Junior and about ½ a cup both morning and night at the moment. You will need to increase this slowly as he gets older. As an adult (12months) he will only be on 1 meal a day and should be only getting 2 cups a day. This will be plenty for him. He should weigh as an adult no more than 25-27kg.

If you are going to continue with the premium food you really shouldn’t mix his food and give him fresh meat. The problem if you do is that you tend to upset the balance of the actual formula of the food. The premium foods are a complete diet and you really don’t need to feed anything else.

You need to pre-soak his food for about the next 2 months and then you can go onto giving it to him just with the water on his dinner. Never feed him just dry without the water. You will do this forever.

As for bones they are fine on a once a month basis as they do need them for their teeth but they are very fatty. NEVER give cooked bones, only raw. You can also give him chicken necks from now on if you want. 1 a week would be fine on top of his dinner.

Obviously your pup is a little older, but I hope this can be of some benefit (or perhaps I've been led astray and there's more advice for me? LOL)

Personally this is not how I feed my Sammies but everyone does different things and if your boy is doing well on it then by all means keep him going.

My dogs get far more bones, not the big marrow bones unless the marrow itself has been scrapped out but chicken, turkey, lamb or duck necks, chicken feet (more a treat then anything else), lamb flaps, chicken frames, venison bones as well as raw mince, fish and various organ meat. This with a little kibble every now and then.

My adult male hates kibble and will only eat a very little of it at a time and its the Nutro or Pro Plan, I found Royal Cannin made his coat like straw.

My baby girl gets adult kibble Nutro or Pro Plan along with bones and the other meats my boy gets.

So far happy healthy dogs and no watering of kibble.