Ticks - I Think We Have Them

ncarter

My dog has been scratching a lot in the past few days all over his body really. Big tufts of hair have been coming out. Today I have found two black marks in his skin on his abdomen. The skin on his belly is pretty red raw. One of them is more deeply embedded in the skin than the other. If they are ticks I think he has scratched the heads off them. Im off to the vet in a couple of hours. Im in perth which I dont think is a paralysis tick area. His behaviour has been pretty normal apart from the scratching and the tufts of hair coming out. Can ticks cause itchyness all over, i.e not just in the area where they have attached themselves?

If they are ticks how will the vet get the remaining bits out? Will the vet prescribe any meds? How serious can it get? Like can they cause an infection around the skin? I found a tick in the backyard last week, I checked him all over and couldnt find any parasites on him. But I did give him a dose of advocate and a flea/tick shampoo.

Edited by ncarter

Check out this thread: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=121109

If you think the brown objects are ticks, remove them with your fingernails or with a tick remover as soon as possible. Once you remove them analyze them to see if they look like anything on the chart posted in the thread above.

My dogs got heaps of brown ticks a couple of months ago. Mostly on their tummies, but also one of her face. The itchiness is usually localized to where the tick is attached.

I think I just have one tick. I had a go with the tweezers and one of the spots appears to be just a freckle or something. The other spot I tried to touch with the tweezers but the dog reacted like it was painful. Im not sure i could get it out anyway because it is flat (if you know what I mean) nothing to pull out really and the dog is only going to get worked up.

You're right ncarter - no paralysis ticks in Perth.

How small are they? I have heard people talk about 'stickfast fleas' which aren't like normal fleas that move, they embed their head in the skin and stay there.

I cant really see how big they are, I can only see one embedded black mark with redness around it. But there is another small sore where it appears he has scratched something completely out and it has broken the skin slightly