Car Harnesses

Red Fox

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi out of those two I would go with PetBuckle if you want it for the car.

It probably says the Webmaster isn't recommended for car travel because maybe it's not safety tested for using it as a seat belt.

Yeah, I want it for the car but it would be good if we have the option of using it as a normal walking harness too... I was thinking that the webmaster might be good for running Kei on the long line as it will keep the leash away from his front end if that makes sense too...

I had to look into these for my dogs and my preferences were Roadie and PetBuckle.

I liked the look of the Roadie too but apparently it is non adjustable :laugh:

Yeah the Roadie's non adjustable but that's ok if you get the right size.

I think you need to consider what you really want the harness for. A harness that gives the best safety in the car isn't going to be the best harness to walk the dog on and vice versa.

You might need to get one of each :cheer:

Yeah the Roadie's non adjustable but that's ok if you get the right size.

I think you need to consider what you really want the harness for. A harness that gives the best safety in the car isn't going to be the best harness to walk the dog on and vice versa.

You might need to get one of each :D

If I could afford to I would :cheer:

Technically I want a harness for long distance car travel. I dont walk my dog on a harness so that's not a major issue, I'm happy to run him on one though when wearing a long line or down river.

However good quality harnesses are very expensive and I dont travel much (though when we do it is usually long trips), so I was hoping to get something as versatile as possible :p

Whatever I buy will have to be over the net though so no chance of trying on for size :bolt:

I'll also need to take comfort into consideration as my boy likes to sleep in the car, and fit (deep chested breed).

• 1 month later...

Bumping this topic because it's been a month and I still can't decide on a harness :hug:

Open for more discussion - especially on the Petbuckle harness if anyone has one :rofl:

My 'must haves' list is:

Strong/safety tested for car travel (where possible)

easy on and off

comfortable

won't slip to the side

and fit a deep chested breed

Thanx muchly :rofl:

Can anyone recommend a good quality car harness?

I need something strong that will fit a large deep chested dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback), will be comfortable for longer trips, won't slide around (ie end up sideways) and will still allow the dog to move around a little -stand up/sit down/lay down/turn around etc- while still keeping him secure.

Can't fit the crate in the car so that's out.

I have an EzyDog harness but have found that it just slips around too much and I am constantly adjusting it. Have thought about buying one of the Black Dog harnesses but they look a little complicated :hug: and the straps seem very thin...

In the past we have used a 2" padded leather buckle collar clipped to one of those attachments that you buckle into the seatbelt clip and a hammock style seat cover. It does the job but I'd like something more secure for longer car trips, plus I worry that it wouldn't be safe in the event of an accident.

The black dog harness is actually quite easy to use and I wouldn't worry too much about the webbing being too thin, it is very strong. The buckle that holds it all together is metal and very strong.

I have always hated the seatbelt attachments as they allow too much give. I use a short strap to secure the harness to the child seat bolt on the rear parcel shelf. Because the parcel shelf is up relatively high the strap stays above the dogs back and doesn't get under its feet as it moves about and there is no give, when the dog reaches the limit of its movement, it stops (ie can't wiggle its way in between the front seats).

If you want to make the sling more stable get a couple of those foam rubber camping mats and trim them so that they fit snugly between the back of the front seat and the rear seat, gives a fairly flat surface that doesn't dip into the footwell.

secret Kei,

I have an ezy dog harness and was finding Oscas would end up sideways.

I'm not sure what your car is like but I found that when I swapped him to the middle seatbelt in the back which comes down from the upper left hand side it gave him a bit more room to move around and he never got tangled.

I don't know if this is an option for you?

Thanks for the suggestions Paulp. What do you use to attach the dog from the bolt to it's harness? I have thought about getting a short leash and doing it that way but it would be good to have something adjustable... kind of like the seatbelt attachments but without the buckle??

PP: The Ezydog harness has now been sold. I think it was just not a good fit for Kei's deep chest :thumbsup:

Hi SecretKei, if you're getting a proper dog seat belt, then I wouldn't use a short leash to attach it. It would take away any safety benefit of the seat belt.

A Ruff Rider Roadie attached via the human seat belt would be the way to go in my opinion.

Edited by Baby Dragon

Hi SecretKei, if you're getting a proper dog seat belt, then I wouldn't use a short leash to attach it. It would take away any safety benefit of the seat belt.

A Ruff Rider Roadie attached via the human seat belt would be the way to go in my opinion.

Hmm good point. I haven't seen the Roadies here in Australia - they are the ones that are all one piece right? I'm not too keen on the design though...

The Petbuckle can be purchased with a proper attachment kit that looks to be quite strong/safe which is why I am leaning towards it. I just haven't heard anything good about it yet though :thumbsup:

I like the seatbelt idea but not sure if it will be practical on long trips (3+ hours) where my dog wants to lie down and move around.

I have both designs of the Ruff Rider Roadie (basic design and elite design.) One has clips and the other doesn't.

Personally I think I prefer the basic design best. I find it easier to put on the dog and take off my dog. I also like that the seat belt threads through it more easily than the elite design.

I've done 14 hour trips with my dog in his Roadie, he was totally fine. It let him lie down, sit or stand up. But if your dog's really big he might not be able to stand up in it.

It's designed to be comfortable for them for long trips :thumbsup:

Edited by Baby Dragon

Thanks BD :rofl: It looks very similar to the Petbuckle when on. Where did you get yours from? I have only seen them on O/S sites...

Just a question though - How do you get it on when there are no clips :thumbsup: I can't get my head around that :(

Thanks for the suggestions Paulp. What do you use to attach the dog from the bolt to it's harness? I have thought about getting a short leash and doing it that way but it would be good to have something adjustable... kind of like the seatbelt attachments but without the buckle??

I'm not sure where I got them from. They either were the straps from some older harnesses I had or I bought them seperately. They are made from seatbelt type webbing with a heavy bulldog clip at one end for clipping to the harness and a metal clip at the other which is intended to be inserted in the seatbelt buckle but I use a mountaineering typ clip to secure it to the child restraint bolt. It is much stronger than a leash and you can adjust its length.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure where I got them from. They either were the straps from some older harnesses I had or I bought them seperately. They are made from seatbelt type webbing with a heavy bulldog clip at one end for clipping to the harness and a metal clip at the other which is intended to be inserted in the seatbelt buckle but I use a mountaineering typ clip to secure it to the child restraint bolt. It is much stronger than a leash and you can adjust its length.

Hey Kei try looking at baby seat anchors/ extensions I know you used to be able to get them In a few different designs with clips at both ends .... and they will be safety belt strength too.

Ok, I have a Roadie Elite, Roadie Basic and Pet Buckle for each dog. I can't decide which I like best out of the Roadie Basic and the Pet Buckle.

I couldn't find the Roadies anywhere - I ended up with a PetBuckle ....AND a Ruffwear Webmaster :D

Both very good though. The Petbuckle is VERY strong, I really like it. BUT the chest piece tends to slip around on Kei (ie the belt slides through and it becomes loose on one side). I'm going to pop a piece of velcro in there when I get around to it which should solve that problem :) I'll be using this harness for long trips on the Highway.

And the Webmaster is awesome too. Fits very, very well. Is comfortable and the handle is so useful. Why dont dogs come with an inbuilt handle? lol. Only downfall is the plastic clips which really rules it out for safe travel on the highway... Still good for trips to the park and school though.

Hey Kei try looking at baby seat anchors/ extensions I know you used to be able to get them In a few different designs with clips at both ends .... and they will be safety belt strength too.

Ah, I might have a look for something like this. I have a bolt in my car and was planning on looping the restraint kit from the Pet buckle harness to it but the bolt is quite far back which makes the strap too short :D Annoying really as it was otherwise perfect.

*sp

Edited by SecretKei

I recently got two different designs of Pet Buckle harnesses to try. One has silver slider things to adjust the harness. You lift the dog's legs through the loops and tighten the harness to the right size. Then to take the harness off, you loosen it with the sliders.

The other design has two clips similar to seat belt clips. You thread the harness through the dog's legs and then clip it up. You don't have to lift the dog's legs through any loops and once you adjust the harness to the right size, you don't have to keep re-adjusting it. I like both designs but I prefer this design.