Prednisolone

vk2mpj

Hi all,

My Rotty has been put on Prednisolone to help settle his FAD (it is quite bad). The question I have, (and should have asked) is how should I give it to him. At this moment, I have been putting the tablet in his food. But I was wondering should I just give it on its own? He is good with taking tabs so this is no issue for me.

Or doesn't it really matter?

I used to give it after food in something yummy to Angs to make sure it was taken.

Remember to make sure there is always a decent supply of water as cortisone makes them drink more (and pee more) - polydipsia and polyuria (from memory).

Thanks heaps for the tips people.... I am confident that he is taking it with his food, the way he eats I should have named him Hoover not Gilly.... LOL

He is really great at taking tablets, so it is good to know that as long as he has food in his belly it should be okay.

He was doing well on them, and we saw a massive improvement, the vet said that at this stage we could stop. It only took a few days and he was soooo inflamed, poor thing. Looks like he might be on them all summer. Although I have been put onto a Holistic Pet meds place that say they can help, might give them ago, they came highly recommended by the breeder.

As for the water, we have two clam shells full that get changed daily...

You may want to give this drug in the morning and not in the evening. As already noted it does increase the thirst, which will increase the urine output. I have found that given in the morning makes it more easier for the dog (who sleeps inside of a night) as well as the owner due to the need for the dog to urinate more frequently. As always it should be given with food or straight after.

I hope your boy can be weaned off it soon.

Just an update,

Gilly is showing good signs of improvement, his back had quite a lot more fur on it now to the point you can hardly see where the FAD was. His tail has also improved, with all but one section now with fur.

We tried to wean him off the tabs, but he was back at it again, and his tail got quite nasty... so back on to them.

The biggest problem we have, is not only the FAD, but environmental allergies in general. Trying to identify what sets him off is almost impossible...