Desexing An Older Dog - Risks?

mr.mister

Hi there,

I was just thinking the other day about desexing and was wondering what people have to say about desexing an older dog (let's say.. 10 onwards, or something like that)? I believe that some breeders do desex their retired show dogs, and was a bit curious as to whether an older dog may have more risks involved with the operation rather than a younger animal. Of course there is a percentage of risk with any operation, just thinking would an older dog be more 'sensitive'?

My question of course not only applies to show dogs but also to older dogs in general; for example an old stray who comes into a rescue with a spay/neuter policy or a pet dog who is at risk of developing testicular cancer or something like that.

I guess in the end it comes down to the general health of the individual dog, but am curious about peoples' thoughts. :)

Hope that wasn't too confusing!

The oldest bitch I have had spayed was 10.5 years. She lived to 16. Her grandmother I refused to have spayed when she was 10 because she had slightly dodgy lung sounds. She was put on depovera instead, basically the same affect - she lived until 14.5 & was PTS with a totally not repro related reason. This bitch's daughter (not the mum of the 16 year old, another one) lived to 14 and was spayed just before she was 10 - 8 months after she'd had major surgeries to repair broken bits after she took on a 4WD and 2 cars (stolen from the owner's yard we believe, no other reason she would have been 3km away on the main road)

Never owned a neutered male so can't comment, but I'd be more willing to have a dog neutered even older than a bitch spayed.

Yep, absolutely dependent on the dog, the skill of the vet counts for a lot too!

I have had both male and female desexed at nine. The female was recently because her phantom pregnancies where becoming more intense and even though I could have kept showing her I don't show often now, so opted to spey.

The dog was many years ago and I had lost his dad at 11 to prostate cancer so when he had to have a benign lump removed from his thigh I decided to neuter him at the same time. I had nothing I wanted to use him over so thought he would be better off.

Most of my friends spey their show bitches between 9 and 12 when they retire them from the ring. If they could be shown speyed they would probably be more likely to be done closer to 9 when they are finished breeding. BCs are a breed where 10 year olds can and do win Best in Shows so they are not considered old at 10.

Dogs are left entire if they are wanted for breeding or neutered if they are no longer needed for showing or stud work.

I had an old girl who was desexed at 9 years old. Ordinarily I wouldn't have bothered, but she had some hormone related problems that only desexing could fix (and it did! :crossfingers: ). Poor love also had 13 teeth out at the same time. She was pretty miserable the night she came home from the vet, but she recovered very quickly and with no complications.