Proheart Injection Switch To Tablets

Kokoro

Hi everyone

My dog was injected with Proheart SR12 on 23/06/2009.

This was his first injection for heartworm treatment.

I have since recieved a letter from the vet to advise that my dog is now due for a 6 month booster shot of Proheart however after reading more about this drug I no longer want to use the injection for heartworm prevention and wish to switch to using a tablet instead. I will also be switching vets as I dont think i was given the correct information about the Proheart injection and am not happy that it was recommended to me and I was told it was no different to the tablets (for risk of side effects). I am also not happy that the heartworm injection was given at the same time as his C3 shots and I have since learned that the Proheart instructions specifically say not to do this :laugh:

So I am not sure how to switch from the injection to the tablets. I dont want to give him the 6 month booster shot and then wait another 6 months before switching but is it safe to put him on tablets now? Would he still have any of the SR12 in his system? And if I dont get the booster and dont put him on the tablets for another 6 months will he be unprotected?

Any advice from anyone who has successfully made this switch? And also what it the best heartworm preventative in tablet form?

Thanks!

What age was your dog, when the initial dose was given?

If he was still a growing pup that would explain the 6 month gap between doses, and his increase in weight since then should probably make it safe to switch him to oral or topical prevention. However I would discuss this with a Vet who is familar with the product.

I understand your concern with using this product, I won't use it either and we do not reccomend it in our Vet Clinic.

I must point out however that the Australian packaging of this product actually does state that it is safe to be given at time of vaccination. Totally different labelling here in Aus for SR12 than the USA and Canada and SR6.

What age was your dog, when the initial dose was given?

If he was still a growing pup that would explain the 6 month gap between doses, and his increase in weight since then should probably make it safe to switch him to oral or topical prevention. However I would discuss this with a Vet who is familar with the product.

I understand your concern with using this product, I won't use it either and we do not reccomend it in our Vet Clinic.

I must point out however that the Australian packaging of this product actually does state that it is safe to be given at time of vaccination. Totally different labelling here in Aus for SR12 than the USA and Canada and SR6.

Thanks for your advice, yes my dog was around 3 months old at the time of the injection. It was given with his final vacc.

I did phone the vet and ask if it was safe to switch to oral right away and they said it would be ok I just wanted to make sure. They suggested I use Sentinel as it does the intestinal worms as well but it is also quite expensive - around $100 for 6 months supply. This is my first dog so I have no experience with the different preventative treatments available and after my experience with the proheart I am not so trusting of my vet.

I wasnt aware that the labelling was different in Australia. I suppose we are behind the 8 ball with that as well as the annual versus triannual vaccination debate?

Edited by Kokoro

I have recently made the switch from yearly injections to a monthly tablet. Proheart tablets to be exact. I waited a month after the 12 months of the injection expired. My dog had no problems or reaction what so ever. I just have to remember on the 14th of each month to give her her tablet .

I switched mine from the 12 month Proheart injectable and waited for exactly 13 months before starting back with the Interceptor that I was using before trying the injections. The vet advised waiting the 13 months because I was suspicious that the injection had caused itch problems so the way to find out if it was a seasonal itch or the injection was to wait the month after the next injection was due. She assured me that the injection actually lasted 13 months not 12 and said so long as the tablets were started between the 12 and 13 month mark they would be fine. There was no itching this time so proved my suspicion was probably correct. No more heartworm injections for my dogs, ever.

I thought that dogs had to be 12 months old to have the heartworm injection and that only the 12 month version was available in Australia. Maybe things have changed since I had my last puppy :) Check with your new vet about the duration of the six month injection.

Anyway I now use Interceptor monthly that covers heartworm and intestinal worms and just use Frontline for fleas as needed in Summer. My vet doesn't believe in using the all in one treatments unless you need to treat all those things. As I don't need flea treatment for most of the year I don't want a heartworm treatment that does fleas as well. Much cheaper and you are not contantly overloading the dog with chemicals.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

Anyway I now use Interceptor monthly that covers heartworm and intestinal worms and just use Frontline for fleas as needed in Summer. My vet doesn't believe in using the all in one treatments unless you need to treat all those things. As I don't need flea treatment for most of the year I don't want a heartworm treatment that does fleas as well. Much cheaper and you are not contantly overloading the dog with chemicals.

This is exactly what I was thinking, I will ask my vet about the Interceptor. Thanks!