Human Grade Fish Oil

Glacius

After discussing diets over the last week or so with other breeders i have decided to change my dogs onto the Artemis grain free and add fish oil to their diets daily as i am not 100% happy with their coats on the Osopure power and Artemis Adult Mix - don't get me wrong their coats are not in bad condition, but i think they could be better :0)

Does anyone know of a good dose rate to give them??? They are 1000mg Fish oil capsules (container says - Fish Oil, Natural 1000mg containing Omega-3 Marine Triglycerides 300mg) Also are there any other things i should consider giving them - say Flaxseed and or Zinc??? How much would you recommend for a large breed dog of 30 - 40kg?? I do feed sardines in oil once/twice a week as well as raw chicken wings/carcusses a couple if times a week...any suggestions greatly appreciated

Re - the oil.

We work on 1000mg per 10kg of dog.

One chomps them up like lollies, the other insists on having them squeezed over her dinner.

ditto, we use the same dose here... 20kg dog gets 2 x 1000mg a day - one morning and one at night

If your fish oil doesn't have Vit. E in it you should give a little Vit. E a few days a week. Fish oil will deplete Vit. E in the body.

I would skip the flaxseed, most dogs can't convert it to a useful form and many dogs are sensitive to flax (inflamed ears, diarrhea etc.)

Don't do Zinc without help from your vet.

I work on the same ratio as above.

I also add sardines to the food aswell though.

I agree with Kevlar re the Flax - for my customers with allergy dogs, normally once the flaxseed is taken away, the dogs are fine.