Another Parvo Question

Here is my dilemma. I have a 13 month old Sheltie who has been vaccinated with a C4. Her litter sister who I had until she was over 4 months old and who was vaccinated whilst under my care, so therefore has had excactly the same vaccinations has come down with Parvo and is likely to be put down this morning as she is deteriorating.

I am thinking that I should bring my girls vaccination forward by a few months so that I can ensure that she is adequately covered as she is out at shows and training a few times a week.

Is this the right thing to do?

Also my puppy buyer has asked me to look out for another pup for them. My concern is that there has been Parvo in the yard and therefore they obviously need to clean that up first. What do they need to do to clean up the yard and how long should they wait before adding another pup. I have already said that personally I would not put a young pup there as the risk is too great and that they should look at an older pup that has already had the full course of vaccinations.

TB

Edited by TashaBailey

Here is my dilemma. I have a 13 month old Sheltie who has been vaccinated with a C4. Her litter sister who I had until she was over 4 months old and who was vaccinated whilst under my care, so therefore has had excactly the same vaccinations has come down with Parvo and is likely to be put down this morning as she is deteriorating.

I am thinking that I should bring my girls vaccination forward by a few months so that I can ensure that she is adequately covered as she is out at shows and training a few times a week.

Is this the right thing to do?

Also my puppy buyer has asked me to look out for another pup for them. My concern is that there has been Parvo in the yard and therefore they obviously need to clean that up first. What do they need to do to clean up the yard and how long should they wait before adding another pup. I have already said that personally I would not put a young pup there as the risk is too great and that they should look at an older pup that has already had the full course of vaccinations.

TB

They should not get another puppy for at least 12 months to 2 years..jury is undecided as to time line. Otherwise they could get earthmoving equipment in and remove 2 ft of soil and refill with non contaminated soil and treat everything else with VirkonS and hope they got it all.

I was advised not to put another puppy in my old backyard for at least 6 months. I would err on the side of caution. As you would be aware its just not worth risking. And if the pup had been inside thats another complication.

Years ago i adopted a pup from the RSPCA. 2 days later they put her down. Few months later went back to the RSPCA to 'look for a kitten' and had some 'casual chats' to volunteers that were there. Turned out the RSPCA were pretty certain my pup and her sister had parvo BEFORE i even set foot in the place. Needless to say i have some major trust issues with the RSPCA. Further story to it, but this isnt the right thread for it.

I ended up bringing my childhood dog up to live with me again a few months later (after the parvo incident), but she was about 12 and was fully assessed by a vet first. Obviously these people are aware of the heartbreak that parvo brings the owners and the pain it brings the dog, so it my not be too hard to make them see that a vulnerable pup is not the way to go.

Well I got the Titre results back for the litter sister to the girl that died of Parvo and the results indicate that there was a possibility that she was inadequately covered ( result was less than 1 to 5).

Gabby has been revaccinated.

My vet will be referring the case to the drug company as the girl that died from parvo and my girl had the same batches of vaccine which means that something is not quite right.

TB

My vet will be referring the case to the drug company as the girl that died from parvo and my girl had the same batches of vaccine which means that something is not quite right.

:love: for the one which died.

But you can't assume it is the drug company's fault - some dog's immune systems simply do not respond to vaccination in the "normal" way.

Poodlefan

That is why we did the titre test on the litter sister that I kept. Those results came back and indicated that her titre levels were really low ( to the extent that there was a concern as to whether she was adequately covered). The treating vet of the girl that died has confirmed parvo via blood test.

Sandra777

I am not necessarily blaming the drug company but at this stage it does warrant investigation. 1 vaccinated dog dead from parvo and her litter sister who had the same batches of vaccine showing low titre levels ( was not due to be vaccinated again for another 3 months).

I need to be able to rule out whether it was a suspect batch of vaccine or whether there is something in my lines that does not take well to that type of vaccination and the only way we can do that is to get the drug company to do their investigation first.

TB

I am not necessarily blaming the drug company

I was just pointing out that there are other explanations to people who might be reading this and not understand how it works. Sorry, I should have explained what I meant better.

low titre levels

Low titre levels only indicates that the dog hasn't been in contact with the virus and has low levels of antibodies circulating in the blood. Again, only mentioning this for those that don't know :mad

I need to be able to rule out whether it was a suspect batch of vaccine or whether there is something in my lines that does not take well to that type of vaccination and the only way we can do that is to get the drug company to do their investigation first.

TB

Or you can titre test littermates and relatives vaccinated with different batches.

I had a parvo puppy several years ago, and already had a pregnant bitch, who I couldn't not have pups for 2 years, they were born only 2 weeks later, none of these 10 puppies got parvo, being in the same places the other pup was. He survived after 11 days at the vet. We did a lot of bleaching and Virconed as well.