Allergy Investigation/treatment Options And Costs

Mango

My 2 year old Parson Russell is having a rough time with his allergies this summer. I believe I have pretty much eliminated the fleas from his environment, but of course, it's impossible to be 100% sure. A friend yesterday identified Wandering Jew in my backyard, I had heard of it but didn't really know what it looked like until now. There was only a little, and not in a spot he was likely to come into contact with it. Does the dog need to be coming into contact with it, or could it have beeen blowing pollens etc around the backyard?

Would like some advice on the process and success of allergy investigations at the vet. When he first went off the richter as a 3 month old puppy, we tried him on Iramine and Polaramine with no luck. I understand we could try a variety of human antihistamines but that finding the one that works for your particular dog is very hit and miss. Last summer he wasn't that bad, this summer is much worse.

What is the cost of allergy tests, etc? If the source/s are found, how can it then be treated? Is there any use in perhaps doing one cortisone injection each summer, or would this not last for several months anyway?

Any advice would be appreciated. He is red and itchy on his belly, chin, and knaws also at the back of his lower legs...

I would get a referral to a Dermatologist. They will start you on a process of elimination. Many won't do the allergy testing straight away as it does not diagnose allergies as such - you need to eliminate every other possibility before you can come to that diagnosis.

Generally you start off by eliminating contact irritant plants (eg wandering jaw), parasites (fleas, scabies), then bacteria/yeast, and then do a food elimination diet to rule out food allergies.

It's not a cheap process and the testing itself is a few hunred dollars, as are the vials of the allergen 'vaccines' you receive afterwards.

We haven't had a lot of luck with the injections, but a lot of Orbits problems are contact as well, which I don't believe the desensitising helps with.

Goodluck!!