Just Wants To Play

Cuchulain

Thanks Cosmolo, I'm working on "Max, focus" - until this week, if I used his name he would look at me. This week I can do what I like I'm being ignored! I'd like for him to look at me when I use his name, and if I use his name AND focus - I'd like for him to look at me until I release him for which I'm using Yes! (in a happy pleased voice).

Is it better to use a clicker or words? I'm tending to words because I'm all ready having issues with needing another pair of hands to cope with treats, cell phone, lead, etc. I think adding a clicker would drive me nuts but if it makes things easier I'd have to give it a go, wouldn't I?

Sorry if this is disjointed and late - I've had issues with my DSL at home and have been in the workshop since 05:00 this morning with only a short 30 minute break to take Max down to the beach for a run.

cuch I tried clicker training once a few years ago and had the same issue of not having enough hands. It would be interesting to hear how people make it work successfully.

Edited by Daisy

I use a verbal marker not a clicker- personal preference. You should still condition it in the same way though and the marker shoudl ALWAYS mean a reward is coming. If you have been testing the look command out when you're out or the dog is distracted, you have probably done it too soon and the conditioning is not strong enough. Don't use his name either- you'll likely use his name at many other times throughout the day without reward so it loses its potency.

I use a marker and release separately- so that i can reward the dog without ending the exercise.

I use a marker and release separately- so that i can reward the dog without ending the exercise.

Just trying to get this straight in my head... as I am starting to work on this with Hugo. At the moment I say 'Hugo look', I have a treat in my hand and raise it up to touch my nose and as soon as he looks at my eyes I give him the treat, and we then continue walking. So should I get him to look and treat but then use another command to walk on so that he does not get the treat and move off straight away?

(just to add we work on 'look' at home as well, and at the momnet I am only using it when we are out and there are no distractions, as I don't want to use it yet under distraction as i am not confident he would give me his attention yet). So am I doing this right?

And when you say a verbal marker - is that just something like 'good boy'?

There's no real issue doing it that way but instead, i would do 100 repetitions of 'look', treat immediately- without waiting for a response- at home before even attempting it on a walk. Thats what i mean when i talk about conditioning first. It sounds like you're doing a bit of both- which will still work, its just a bit different :D

The difference between a marker word (i use yes) and release is that the marker says a reward is coming but the exercise is not necesarily finished, release means the exercise is over. Some people do have their dogs release on the 'yes' but i don't like doing it that way as i want to be able to mark, keep going, then release.

It's never too late with a dog. They love you unconditionally :o Don't worry so much and take it in your stride, you will, with your obvious commitment and ethusiasm have this pup well trained at the end of the day. What do you think you are doing so wrong?

:eek: Thanks Flux. I'm using the wrong words and doing stuff the wrong way round. Sigh! I'll figure it out in the end. Wish I had somebody in the same town who could help. Closest is 75km (one way) and I'm not keen on asking at the puppy school, I've been a little disillusioned about the instructor's "skills". Problem is, I can't carry a manual around with me and say to Max, "Hang on while I look this up!" :thumbsup:

I have short-term memory problems and trying to learn all this and then remember it when I need it is very difficult for me. I don't want to make excuses for myself, I need to do this, Max is growing fast and I don't want an unruly 40kg+ hooligan on the end of the lead.

Sometimes he is an absolute angel - like yesterday. I was very tired, had put in a 12+ hour day in the workshop and was at my last call. Max was restless and Aaron (the customer's son in his early twenties) offered to take him for a "run". :thumbsup: At this point Max was trying to eat the socks off Aaron's feet and generally being a PITA. I explained Max was too young to run far but he was welcome to take him out for 10 minutes but please to keep him on the grass verge when running and not let him run on the tar.

I was expecting a disaster but Aaron came back about 8 minutes later grinning like a Cheshire cat. Max had apparently been a total pleasure - running on a loose lead, ignoring all other dogs and not even wanting to stop and smell stuff. Aaron said they'd run a little interspersed with walking and could he please take Max again sometime? :o:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I think Max enjoyed it too. Of course now I suppose I'm going to be expected to run :D :rofl:

It doesn't matter what words you use as long as you're consistent about what it means.

I use a clicker and a verbal marker for Erik and just use them interchangeably. If I need all my hands I go to the verbal marker "good boy", but the clicker is always paired with food, whereas "good boy" tends to get used when I don't have food as well, so the click is much stronger and more exciting to him. For Kivi, I just use one verbal marker "ping". I use different markers for different dogs to make it nice and clear who I'm training. I have to say I like "ping" better than the clicker. Sometimes I forget my clicker. :rofl:

For Kivi, "ping" signals a good job and the end of the behaviour, like a clicker does for Erik. It's not a big deal, but sometimes you have to be careful when you mark. Example, when teaching stay it's easier to hold off marking until you're back to your dog so you can reward them in the position. It's always good to reward in the right position if you have that option.

Erik also has a release word purely because I thought I'd try it out and see how I liked it. I do like it better, but don't use it when I'm clicker training because the clicker is the release. Mostly I just lean on it to help me train duration or install a nice moment of calm downing in a very stimulating situation.