Clicking For Toilet Training?

Hi everyone,

I think I've posted in most of the forums now, I have had so many different questions since I brought Chestnut home 2 weeks ago :banghead:

My question for here however is can I start clicker training for when Chestnut pees in the right place? Does it work for toilet training? And if so, should I click when he squats or when he finishes? And should I keep using the words "go pee" when he is peeing or stop using words alltogether? :mad I've read so many articles and books on toilet training and still I am confused!

(At the moment my routine is: I take him to the outside toilet regularly- every hour to 2 hours depending on activity, on leash, and say 'go pee' while he is peeing, 'yes!' when he finishes then reward with three treats asap.)

Thanks!

THat is EXACTLY what I did :banghead: I didn't worry about using a clicker but just used a bridge word 'yes' which I conditioned first as in this instance I thought I might not have time to grab a clicker etc. if I was taking the dog out to pee in a rush ie just after waking so no accident occurs.

I use the clicker to teach most new behaviours but not for toileting. I think the clicker is too precise a tool for that. At what point do you click? I like what you are doing at the moment but I wouldn't even mark it with "yes" as I like that word to be my alternative marker for when I don't have a clicker on me and again I want it to be very precise. I also use a word, 'go pee' is good and I repeat it quietly and calmly while he is peeing along with a quiet 'good dog' and I don't treat. Putting it on a verbal cue is a great idea and so very useful as you can use it in so many situations.

Hi everyone,

I think I've posted in most of the forums now, I have had so many different questions since I brought Chestnut home 2 weeks ago :)

My question for here however is can I start clicker training for when Chestnut pees in the right place? Does it work for toilet training? And if so, should I click when he squats or when he finishes? And should I keep using the words "go pee" when he is peeing or stop using words alltogether? ;) I've read so many articles and books on toilet training and still I am confused!

(At the moment my routine is: I take him to the outside toilet regularly- every hour to 2 hours depending on activity, on leash, and say 'go pee' while he is peeing, 'yes!' when he finishes then reward with three treats asap.)

Thanks!

I use the clicker to teach most new behaviours but not for toileting. I think the clicker is too precise a tool for that. At what point do you click? I like what you are doing at the moment but I wouldn't even mark it with "yes" as I like that word to be my alternative marker for when I don't have a clicker on me and again I want it to be very precise. I also use a word, 'go pee' is good and I repeat it quietly and calmly while he is peeing along with a quiet 'good dog' and I don't treat. Putting it on a verbal cue is a great idea and so very useful as you can use it in so many situations.

Thanks bedazzled, I think I will just keep going with trying to associate the action with the words 'go pee'. Clicking is very precise and that's the problem as a good pee can take a couple of seconds not just a milisecond like the click. Thanks for your input!

Thanks bedazzled, I think I will just keep going with trying to associate the action with the words 'go pee'. Clicking is very precise and that's the problem as a good pee can take a couple of seconds not just a milisecond like the click. Thanks for your input!

I agree. Click at the beginning, and you'll interrupt the flow (so to speak!) and distract the puppy. Click at the end, and will the pup even make the connection about what got clicked?

I taught my current girl to potty on command with calm verbal praise and sometimes a nice tidbit for a successful "toilet". It took her a few months, but one day it seemed to just "click" with her. Probably would have been shorter if I'd been more consistent about watching her in the house. :love: