Mast Cell Tumour Without Chemo Treatment

Hi molasseslass

I had a Boxer that had a Grade II cutaneous mast cell tumour removed from her side at the age of six. She did have another removed from the thin skin between bone and tendon on her back leg approx a year later but I did not have this tested. The first one was 12mm in diameter and the excised skin measured 60 x 40 mm. Bonnie lived to the age of 13 and never had a recurrence.

Cheers

Karen

Clean or dirty margins?

I know a few dogs who've not had chemo and are still fine, some who've had other small ones removed but others who haven't had a recurrance.

Clean margins, grade 2, tumour about the size of an orange, told without chemo it's a 25% chance it comes back.

Just wondering what others have experienced personally.

Clean or dirty margins?

I know a few dogs who've not had chemo and are still fine, some who've had other small ones removed but others who haven't had a recurrance.

Clean margins, grade 2, tumour about the size of an orange, told without chemo it's a 25% chance it comes back.

Just wondering what others have experienced personally.

We had grade 2, with no clear margins and used chemo - the chemo did help but the tumours are were back in about 12 months from when the chemo finished... Funnily enough Ollie had 2 removed with clear margins but the big one on his rump did not have clear margins and the local lymph nodes showed active Mast cells...

With clear margins statistics say about 25% will get more tumours.. Did they biospy the local lymph nodes when they removed the tumour?

I am pretty sure it has been a year since Mooper's Jack had his grade 3 removed with clear margins and as far as I know he still does not have any more tumours

I have one the size of a little fingernail removed from a 2 year old boxer. We thought it was a wart,but the vet got wide margins. Not sure what the gradings were, but there were no further problems.

Dogs don't seem to have a huge problem with chemo, and I suppose you need to make a choice based on age of the dog, site of the tumour, vet's recommendation, etc.

Good luck. Hope it all turns out well.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to decide whether to go the chemo or not, that decision has been made. Just mentioned it because it changes the statistics for recurrance - so those stories aren't useful for this situation.

Thanks everyone who's responded so far.

Edited by molasseslass

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to decide whether to go the chemo or not, that decision has been made. Just mentioned it because it changes the statistics for recurrance - so those stories aren't useful for this decision.

Thanks everyone who's responded so far.

Yes you are right, it does change it...

Not sure if it helps but at the time of Ollie's dxd, as you know we opted for chemo.. there were 3 other dogs dxd with MCT.

Dog 1 (ACD) was MCT grade 2 without clean margins and lived another year (no chemo).

Dog 2 (??) was MCT grade 1 with clear margins and is still very much alive after 4 years

Dog 3 (cross breed) was MCT grade 3, no chemo and no clear margins lived 6 months..

I know of plenty of other cases as well and it varies so widely on what you do - change of diet, holistic treatment etc.. All these things can have a huge impact on how the long the dog will be here...

Statistically even with the chemo, Ollie should have only been here for another year to year and a half - tis going on four and half years now since he was dxd...