Byron Wants To Know! What Breed Am I?

Skruffy n Flea

Maltese crossed with shih-tzu or tibbie. Tail upcurled, solid little body, parti colouring, & toes look a bit pointed.

Good advice from Longclaw. Maybe share the settling in issues, to see if DOLers can help.

Edited by mita

Just because a cross breed dog doesn't have the coat of a maltese or westie, doesn't mean there isn't maltese or westie in there. The other breed(s) could be responsible for the coat. Just look at the 'designer dogs' like cocker spaniels x poodles. Some have the poodle coat, some have the cocker coat, some have a coat which is neither here nor there.

Cross breeds are just that, they don't breed 'to type', so there will be wild variations in appearance between one JRT/malt and another especially if the parents weren't pure either.

thank you soooooo much longclaw :rofl: that information is sooooo helpful and i have a much better understanding now how cross breeds and bitzas like me look like we do :)

i'll hand you over to me mudda human now :)

The predominant breeds I *think* I can see in Byron are maltese and JRT, but really, does it matter?

at the time, yeah, i did think it mattered ... i'm a lil bit lost cuz his progress seems to have plateaued and i thought that if i had an idea of his 'makeup' it might give me some insight! it was a longshot :D

How long has he been with you

since mid-october [one week short of 4 months]

how do you interact with him

we are the same with him as we are with bella ... play time, pats [and smooches], basic training, exercise, discipline, rewards for good behaviour...

what specifically about his behaviour makes you think he is having trouble settling in? If you can describe his issues, perhaps we can give you some practical advice? For example, dogs that are very timid and unsure often benefit from being virtually ignored until they pick up the routine, gain some trust in you and approach you of their own accord. Showering uncertain dogs with cuddles and affection can confuse them, and even reward timid/frightened behaviour.

this is excellent information ... thank you again :) i wish i'd been given that advice in the beginning because he does seem very timid and quite unsure of himself ... i've seen those blank stares before in other dogs and there's the question that nobody can answer...

longclaw, i'll save it for another thread...

thank you again soooooo very much :)