Airline Approved Crate

centitout

I need to buy an airline approved crate big enough for a 14 week old bloodhound pup to fly to NZ.

Normally i just go through Dogtainers,but the owner doesnt want to as it is nearly $1000 more than doing it herself.

Where would the best place be to buy one,she isnt fussed if it is second hand.

thanks

Have you or the new owner also contacted Jetpets? I found JP to be nearly $300 cheaper for transport to NZ and it included babesia testing.

You can still purchase crates from Dogtainers - you don't need to be flying with them. ;)

Or else you'll have to just keep an eye out on the DOL For Sale pages ;)

ETA : There is a giant Vari crate on the For sale pages and it's only $350 - GOOD PRICE for these crates - best of all - it's in SE QLD :)

Edited by t-time

Thanks Time,bu ti am in nsw ;) We worked it out,all together we will save $nearly 1000,just a lot of running around for me as i am 5 hrs away from sydney.

Just out of curiosity,how much did you pay for Babesia testing?

I got quoted last time i sent one over-$400 with dogtainers,got it done at my vets for $180.

I need to buy an airline approved crate big enough for a 14 week old bloodhound pup to fly to NZ.

Normally i just go through Dogtainers,but the owner doesnt want to as it is nearly $1000 more than doing it herself.

thanks

I prefer the air line crates. Get one from the air line you are flying the pup over with.

Hi centitout

Being a 14week BH pup you may end up needing an XL. I recently had to go from a large to the XL Varikennel for my Swedish import due to her size - this was at British Airways requirement, as they had certain criteria that must be met when determining the size of the crate required. The dog must be able to walk in & turn around in the crate plus they must not hit their head when in the sitting position. Due to the size of the crate the cost of the flight went up as well...so maybe the additional $1000 that was quoted may have included the increased flight charges due to extra weight & dimentions. Worth looking into prior to purchasing a second hand crate...especially if the airline won't let you use it.

Cheers

Edited by Hunterhound

$180 for babesia testing is good - I inquired at 3 vets and each one wanted to charge around the $300 mark :thumbsup:

Through Jetpets, the babesia testing was circa $180 as well so your vet is doing a good deal there! :rofl:

Pity you're not local as I reckon that crate is a good buy! But yeah, try the airlines. :(

thanks

I prefer the air line crates. Get one from the air line you are flying the pup over with.

Most airlines only stock PP20 or PP40 size crates, anything larger you have to go elsewhere and pay retail prices.