Behaving Inside

Ons

I have the most beautiful 11 month old foster blue cattle dog pup here who has had no training. i'm working hard on the jumping up and he is a bright fellow, learns quickly.

When I'm home my dogs are allowed inside and are normally quiet and well behaved, but I can't have Banjo inside as he bounces around and chases the cats. So i feel very mean but he is outside alot whilst mine are inside because I don't believe in altering their routine because we have a foster dog in the house. Banjo is very good and just sits quietly by the side door looking in or wandering around the garden, at the moment he is playing with the stuffed pet pig toy, not making a sound. I have the crate set up and he is allowed in provided he is in the crate or on a lead. He does generally sit quietly in his crate or by my side on the lead. But i don't like the idea of him being in the crate for hours on end so I put him outside. Today he had a good long sleep in his crate but then became restless so we all went outside, had a play and the three spoilt brats came inside whilst he stayed out. At night he sleeps quietly in the garage, he really is a good boy except for the cat/inside bit.

So any ideas how I can get him to behave inside and not chase the cats everytime he sees them? Or should i just continue on what I'm doing with the belief that Banjo couldn't care less about where the three spoilt brats are? I do know that I'm never going to get him to never chase a cat, I just dont want him to react like he does everytime he sees one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised nobody gave you advice on this question. So I gave it a little " bump! " as they say.

Lucky you having a dog that is happy and OK to be outside when your others are in. I would like to foster as well but haven't been able to as yet.

I think it is great your pup is happy outside. I am inexperienced but I think that I would simply give a little focus training to your foster. Outside at first and then inside on lead. Building up until he can cope with being closer to cats and not chase. I use food myself but he might be more geared towards a tug toy etc. Wish mine were.

Good luck. And I supose it is important in regards to his re-homing. Althou a cat free home might be easier.

thanks skip :laugh:

I ended up posting this on Rescue site as well because I had no responses. You may like to have a look, there are some great ideas!

We still aren't useed to the cat :heart: but Banjo is so well behaved in his crate so he comes inside and sits in it, if he fidgets too much he is outside. has come such a long way for a boy that has only been here for two weeks :angel:

Agree with Nekhbet, Zeping.

E-collar training, done properly, is fantastic and brings with it fantastic results. But my stance on training is that it is about teaching the dog what TO do first (whether you're using e-collar or any other form of training collar). How would you envisage utilising the e-collar on the dog in the OP's instance?