Piggy Back

Staranais

We're working on this at the moment, using a backpack to help her balance up there. Firstly getting her to stand balanced on a full backpack. Then getting her to do this while I'm wearing the backpack. Next working on having her stay up there for longer and longer periods, while I stand up and walk around.

Working on this both for fun, and for practical reasons (having carried my old dog out of the bush once in my arms after he got heat stroke, I don't want to ever have to do that again! It was extremely hard work.)

Has anyone else taught variations of this piggyback trick? It's probably far easier with a smaller dog (my girl's about 25kg).

• 4 months later...

Finally got it! She's heavy - would probably be much easier with a smaller dog, I don't think I'd care to carry her any appreciable distance! But it is a very cute trick. Now to train her to get up there without me having to kneel down. :thumbsup:

I admit, we're still working on a graceful dismount! :( At the moment the best way I've found is to kneel down, and have her get off backwards - she stands her back feet down on the ground (I click here to make it worth her while to pause), then her front feet too.

The only bruises I've got is when she smacks me in the face with her front paws as she's trying to get up. Apparently it takes more coordination than you'd think to jump on someone's shoulders.

Haven't filmed the training, but might put a clip or photo of the finished trick up when we've perfected it, if anyone's interested.

I'd love to see it when you've got it!!

My cat sits on my shoulders as I walk around, except she's usually backwards so I get the rear end in my face. If I pick her up that is where she scrambles up to and rides around. She just a bit heavy at around 6 kilos to sit on my shoulder like a parrot for long!! Dismounting usually involves claws and the nearest surface I can lower her onto so there's less claws!

As a child I taught my Goldie/Cocker X to do this. I would carry her around on my back all the time. I dont recall how I taught it though.

I would get her to get up on a chair or table, then I would squat down in front of her and she would rest her front paws on my shoulders. I would then pick her up. She loved it. I would have to kneel down for her to get off. Or back up to a table or something to make it easier.