Overdue Bitch, A Little Concerned.

spot

I have a papillon bitch who was due yesterday, but is showing absolutely no signs of whelping as yet, apart from a tiny bit of nesting on Saturday. She is quite happy, and still eating. I haven't checked temp yet, but am about to. How long would you let her go without taking her to the vet, she doesn't seem at all worried. This is her first litter as well, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. It's a bit puzzling, as I've never had one go over before. I'm sure of dates as there were only two matings.Any advice would be great, thanks. :D

I have a papillon bitch who was due yesterday, but is showing absolutely no signs of whelping as yet, apart from a tiny bit of nesting on Saturday. She is quite happy, and still eating. I haven't checked temp yet, but am about to. How long would you let her go without taking her to the vet, she doesn't seem at all worried. This is her first litter as well, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. It's a bit puzzling, as I've never had one go over before. I'm sure of dates as there were only two matings.Any advice would be great, thanks. :D

A bitch whelps not from the date of mating but from the date of ovulation. So this can put your dates out by a few days.

If she ovulated after mating, then she will go over. If she ovulated before mating then she will be earlier.

Guest Doglady0419

My bitch was a day over the first time round and whelped very very late on day 66 with her second litter. :eek: If my vet hadn't informed that they can go to day 66 I would have taken her for a check up.....she didn't show signs of nesting until day 64/65....

Can be stressful!! but hang in there...more than likely nothing to worry about......be concerned if she starts pushing and nothing happens....

Good Luck with your litter!!!

A lot depends on the breed. Some seem to go over regularly with no problems and others tend to go early. It all has to do with when they mate in relation to when they ovulate.

If in doubt get her checked. My breed rarely goes over unless there is a problem so I always err on the side of caution. and head for the vet for an ultrasound to check that all is ok.

Thanks everyone. She went into full nesting drive on Tuesday and had three girls Tuesday night, day 64. Sadly we lost one very soon after birth, but the other two are ok so far, although one is very tiny, I'm topping her up between feeds. I'll try to take some pics soon.