Switching From Puppy Food To Adult Food...

K1TT3N

Our puppy is 8 months old and we are still feeding him dry puppy food. We were told because he's a big breed dog that you should feed them on puppy food for longer as they are slower to develop fully growth wise. However how long is too long?

We would love the convenience of being able to buy a big bag of dry food as opposed to the little one's that puppy food only comes in, but i'm not going to switch him over if it's too premature.

Our puppy is 8 months old and we are still feeding him dry puppy food. We were told because he's a big breed dog that you should feed them on puppy food for longer as they are slower to develop fully growth wise. However how long is too long?

We would love the convenience of being able to buy a big bag of dry food as opposed to the little one's that puppy food only comes in, but i'm not going to switch him over if it's too premature.

What has his breeder recomended?

Large breeds are kept on Puppy food much longer then smaller ones.

My MIL had her Newf on puppy until she over 14 months old, as recomended by her breeder.

You can get big bags of every kind of food from places like Pet Barn and most other places that sell pet food. Supermarkets often don't sell the large bags and its often more expensive, at least from what I have found.

Malamutes are reccomended to stay on puppy food till 18 months. If your Mal is small for the breed standard or not very heavy on bone then switching over at 12 months shouldn't be a problem.

Agreed about supermarket pet food - too expensive for it's quality and the bag size wouldn't last half a week. You are better off going to a larger 'pet warehouse' or stockfeed type buisness to get your feed from.

i used to go to pookinuk.com.au, but there are heaps of places, like (as above) pet barn or larger independent pet shops............. supermarkets are a rip off.

I use pookinuk.com.au too as I find them cheap and convenient with a flat rate of $5 delivery. I work full time so it's great arriving home and having a new bag of food waiting for me a mere day after I ordered it!!

As far as changing to adult food, you should definatley stay on the puppy for 14-18 months. There are plenty of puppy foods out there that come in a large size which ends up being so much cheaper than the smaller bags.

When my Newfie was a puppy, I fed Nutrience Large Breed Puppy formula which comes in a 20 kilo bag

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/product-selecte...p?productID=254

He's now on Nutrience Holistic Giant Breed

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/product-selecte...p?productID=418

They also do a large breed one which might be more appropriate for you

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/product-selecte...p?productID=263

Both products I highly recommend!!