When Feeding Raw.

SBT101

I just have a query for those of you that feed raw and have litters.

When you wean the pups, do you also feed them raw or do you start them off on dry?

I am just thinking of when their new owners take them and that it might be easier for them to feed dry and raw as they might not be able to have access to some raw foods.

Also if you do feed dry, what one do you use?

I feed Optimum Puppy. Used a different brand prior to this Stafford and American Cocker lot and to be honest, the difference is astounding.

In addition I feed a kind of hybrid raw diet. Plenty of good quality meaty bones, chicken wings, necks and now frames. And veges with cottage cheese and yoghurt.

Not all at once of course but I was thinking as you were that it is all very well for me to be militant about what I feed, but the reality is that most puppy owners will do what is convenient for them. About the only thing I told them to NOT feed on a regular basis are canned foods and dog loaf/rolls.

I weaned onto raw and at 7 weeks I change their morning or midday feed to kibble. The idea being that I can encourage the new owners to continue feeding raw and eventually they drop the morning dry food feed.

I feed Cobber at the moment and am happy with my puppy buyers feeding the lower priced stuff if it's fed as an adjunct to a raw diet. If going to only dry food then I encourage to go for a premium brand (I prefer Nutrience).

My last litter were raised on raw and I sent home a heap of raw stuff for the first few days. now for my next litter I will wean on premium dry plus raw. It gives puppy buyers another option rather than feeling overwhelmed and not understanding raw feeding, giving up and then going out to the super market to by crap dry/can food. Lets face it not all are going to stick to the raw diet, so I can atleast encourage a premium dry plus wings/carcasses etc. Whilst its not my ideal, Its a little less confusing for them and the pup will still have a better diet than supermarket fed ones. I'll send home a BARF book and heaps of info on raw feeding vs dry and encourage complete raw diet but thats all I can do.

I have been a raw feeder for 15 years. I start the pups on a sloppy dry food, so they can lap and then gradually add the raw food in ie: mince for a couple of day and then start to add the normal food but finely grounded. I use BIG DOG for this and I have a link on my website if you want to check them out.

Hope this helps :(

I fed my pups on a sloppy Barf mixture from 4 weeks old. They had already been on puppy milk in addition to their mother for a week, so were familiar with the milk and were lapping readily. I simply added a bit of Barf to it. I also fed them Supercoat Puppy soaked in the same milk. They did well, and their new owners have mostly carried it on. One can't get Barf, so now feeds Chicken Mince. I use Canine Country Barf, not Dr B's.