Where Does Your Puppy Sleep?

PoppyDog

Okay...so I buy the crate...get her used to it over the weekend...what do I do about this sleep issue in the meantime?

How do I make the transition from ensuite to crate without her crying blue murder? THATS the thing I can't handle...I know myself and I know I will give in to her yells! :laugh:

crate

I have something like this.

Whereas where Charlie sleeps?

He sleeps on the bed, but if it's get too hot and crowded he goes and sleeps on the bed beside my bed (it's next to the balconey door that i leave open for him a little) or he sleeps in his crate... i have found him sleeping in the shower stall in the ensuite on a very hot day one time.

When he was younger, he use to wake up at 5am, so I would take him outside to do his business, and then bring him in bed with me for our morning snuggles together. Now, he has learnt that when mummy is asleep... he has to stay quiet.

Now time has changed... it's me that has to wake him up! :laugh:

Okay...so I buy the crate...get her used to it over the weekend...what do I do about this sleep issue in the meantime?

How do I make the transition from ensuite to crate without her crying blue murder? THATS the thing I can't handle...I know myself and I know I will give in to her yells! :laugh:

Put the crate in the ensuite.. put her bed or bedding in it and leave the door of the crate open. Toss in a treat at bedtime and my guess is she'll solve that problem for you.

I find having a crate where you are, but leaving the door open, feeding etc in it will encourage use. Just buy one that's easy to move around the house initially.

I'm glad your able to validate my feelings of wanting her close! Another forum I'm on are telling me to stop treating her like a baby, put her in the main bathroom, let her cry it out and dont go to her till the next morning! I just dont think I can do it!

How exactly do they propose you stop her going to the loo - with a cork?? :laugh: Or are continued accidents inside an acceptable part of this program?

Put the crate in the ensuite.. put her bed or bedding in it and leave the door of the crate open. Toss in a treat at bedtime and my guess is she'll solve that problem for you.

I find having a crate where you are, but leaving the door open, feeding etc in it will encourage use. Just buy one that's easy to move around the house initially.

But she will still have free range of the house then? She will be free to get up, walk out, go wonder, pee/poo as she pleases...

OR am I still putting someone across the doorway of the ensuite WITH the crate in there? :scold:

I'm glad your able to validate my feelings of wanting her close! Another forum I'm on are telling me to stop treating her like a baby, put her in the main bathroom, let her cry it out and dont go to her till the next morning! I just dont think I can do it!

How exactly do they propose you stop her going to the loo - with a cork?? :laugh: Or are continued accidents inside an acceptable part of this program?

But she will still have free range of the house then? She will be free to get up, walk out, go wonder, pee/poo as she pleases...

OR am I still putting someone across the doorway of the ensuite WITH the crate in there? :scold:

Does the ensuite have a door?

crate

I have something like this.

Whereas where Charlie sleeps?

He sleeps on the bed, but if it's get too hot and crowded he goes and sleeps on the bed beside my bed (it's next to the balconey door that i leave open for him a little) or he sleeps in his crate... i have found him sleeping in the shower stall in the ensuite on a very hot day one time.

When he was younger, he use to wake up at 5am, so I would take him outside to do his business, and then bring him in bed with me for our morning snuggles together. Now, he has learnt that when mummy is asleep... he has to stay quiet.

Now time has changed... it's me that has to wake him up! :laugh:

Oh how I WISH it was me that had to wake her up! :laugh:

Maybe I just need to find a way of securing the gaps in the baby door till she grows a bit bigger and cant slep thru them? Any suggestions for that?

Our idea was that she sleep in the ensuite until she was COMPLETELY toilet trained and THEN move to just sleeping in her bed in our room hence the reason we bought the baby gate...we were going to make the transition when ready. :scold:

Does the ensuite have a door?

Yes...should I just close it and ignore the yells?

Yep.

Her crying and yelling is a way of her train you to do things for her. Her way of controlling you.

Close the door when she is calm though. Make sure that she has settled down, she has the water and toys. Then close the door on her.

Edited by charleswentworth

Yep.

Her crying and yelling is a way of her train you to do things for her. Her way of controlling you.

Close the door when she is calm though. Make sure that she has settled down, she has the water and toys. Then close the door on her.

Ok...tonight we close the door! Each night she happily goes in there, lies in her bed and settles down...its just a few hours later the problem starts!

Me vet reccomended no water to help with not peeing every hour thru the night?

We have 1 pup sleeping in the laundry on a raised bed, the other gets the bathroom in a basket with a pen so he can see the lounge and goings on, they alternante time with us in the evenings, were together most of the day outside and for the last 3 days, haven't soiled or wet their newspaper. I'm pretty suprised at that however I do take them out for wee breaks frequently and don't go to bed until 11.30 and they are up at 6.00 for a break so I guess they can hold on that long ok.

Yep.

Ok...tonight we close the door! Each night she happily goes in there, lies in her bed and settles down...its just a few hours later the problem starts!

Me vet reccomended no water to help with not peeing every hour thru the night?

Well, in that few hours.. you can go check on her. If she needs to go to the toilet, take her outside and let her do her business. Don't talk to her. Play with her. Just praise her when she does her business. Nothing else. Then put her back into the bathroom, wait till she settles, close the door again. Crying starts. Ignore.

I've always left water out for Charlie. I've never denied Charlie or my other dogs water before. Especially in summer, when it's hot.

If Poppy is sleeping, she won't be peeing :laugh: She only pees when she is awake, and by that stage, you will be taking her outside to do her business, right? If she needs to pee every hour throughout the night, then there is something medicial wrong with her.

Yep.

Even though it will be hard, make sure you do stay strong with ignoring her yelling and crying, it won't take too long for her to give up if she learns it won't get her what she wants. But if you give in at all, even when it seems like she'll never stop, she'll learn that if she persists, she'll win. And they can be way more stubborn than us! :laugh:

I haven't actually had problems with my dog crying, but when I first moved into my house my cat Charlie decided to sit outside my bedroom door and meow NON-STOP from 4am to 6am (he's not the brightest cat and I reckon he just forgot how long he'd been there). Anyway, I knew that if I opened the door he'd think his meowing had worked so I didn't open it until he'd given up and gone away - even when I actually needed to get up to go to the toilet! It took a few nights but eventually he gave up and stopped trying.

I told this to a friend when she was trying to teach her puppy to sleep in the laundry and she was surprised that I had let it go on for two hours non-stop, but a couple of nights of that was better than him whinging whenever he wanted something for the rest of his life! So, as long as you know she's safe, DON'T go to her.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll have it worked out in no time!

Thanks everyone!

I think I'm the stronger one out of myself and my fiance and since he is working nights for the next three days Mummy is going to be STRICT!!! :laugh:

Think of it as being clear and consistent. Set the ground rules and you and Poppy will be happier for it.

Thanks everyone!

I think I'm the stronger one out of myself and my fiance and since he is working nights for the next three days Mummy is going to be STRICT!!! :laugh:

:thumbsup: My OH is a softy too. Good thing, means he gets the 5am potty runs lol.

We had a good night last night! I closed the door at 9.30pm when I went to bed. When my OH got home at around midnight he took her out for wee's and she stayed with him till he came to bed. She slept in till 6am then I took her out for wees and poos. BUT...I did leave her out in the tiled area after that. I figured it was 6am and she might be ready to get up. She was lying in her bed when I got up at 9am! Lol!