has had HD since a young dog

Arthristis the last few years

currently on anti inflamatries for a stiff / sore elbow joint a few weeks back

( yes they make him drink more )

will be haveing blood work done to check everything

he is starting to go deaf

I beleive he is alseep when he does this

so before speaking to vet tomorrow

any advice of what could be given or what to ask about as per medications others have used for their dogs

herbal or prescription

and any advice of how to get rid of the smell on carpet as after 3 times last night it is starting to smell badly :(

I have used carper deodorises but not really removing the odour

OH is out now buying some rubber backed mats so we can use on carpet where he lays , so to try and save the carpet

plus I dont realy want to have him wear Belly bands as yet

so any advice would be appreciated please

I can sympathize with you, I,m currently having the same problem with my 12.5 yo girl. She wets wherever she sits, her bed has wet spots on it day & night. I have tiles and polished concrete through out so I can see the spots., I run the over them mop everyday. I believe the only way to control the problem is medication. From what I have read on here it works well.

I haven't resorted to them as my girl had cancer 3 years ago and I plan to try and manage as best I can with out hormone treatment.

I use thick beach towels doubled over on all her bedding now. I am washing more these days.

The rubber backed mats will help you a lot.

With your carpet have you tried vinegar in a bit of water for the smell. It worked well when my old cat was around. Apart from professional cleaning I,m not much help in that department.

I try to limit her water intake at night, plus a loo trip before bed.

She gets a smell about her, lucky its summer and we visit the dam each day.

She,s going deaf also and getting stiffness in the back end. I had her to the vet last week and I will be starting her on cartrophen injections as the cooler weather comes.

For some reason I actually thought my little girl who is 13 years next week would be the first one to have this problem

I would love to take the carpet up but I dont think the boards underneath are suitable for staining ( house is about 50 years old )

and not mine as we rent , but the carpet is mine as it came from the old tennant

most of their bedding is washable here also

but as they both move around alot during the night it hard to know where to put the mats we got today

we got the picnic rugs as mentioned in another thread i read and they seem to be good

Yes I did try some vinegar and water earlier today and that helped the smell for a while

and then repeated it again not long ago

might try and get carpet cleaners in and see if that can help

in a few days after we see what says tomorrow

Sam used to be on the Catrophen injections over the years but vet gave him some other ones and they helped him alot

Carprofen Tabs 100mg

I beleive they similar to the injections ( different brand I think ) but seems as though they helped him more

Thanks Dianed :champagne:

Have a friend who,s dog is on the Carprofen Tabs as the injections gave him the runs. They seem to work well.

Can you let me know how it turns out if he,s put on medication for incontinence. I was thinking last night that at my dogs age it probably will not shorten her life any. If it continues thru winter I will do something. thanks

You need to be able to distinguish between excessive thirst leading to excessive amounts of water being drunk which leads to not being able to "hold it all in" and incontinence - leaking irrespective of bladder fullness.

Incontinence medicine usually works on females by tightening the sphincter muscles and hence stopping leaking. It doesn't work so well on males.

If your old boy is drinking so much that he con't contain himself especially when he is asleep then it may be something else.

The most common is probably diabetes but there are a whole bunch of other things that could cause this.

Also, if he is drinking excessive amounts of water, then his blood and urine tests may come back in the normal range which actually indicates a problem.

As for cleaning i know it might sound strange but go to the supermarket and buy some BIOZET laundry powder, dilute it and rub onto the surface - it mights be easier in ur case as it is a regular occurance to make it in a spray bottle?? and as it is a laundry powder u can wash hi bedding in it in the morning :rofl: i have a kitten and the breeder says for toilet trianing it will eliminate the smell so the kitten doesnt go there again... amd i have wash my dogs bedding in there is is excellent for removing odors... with the carpet alwasy wipe over it again with a damp cloth(fresh water) and then dry with a towel or somthing - experiment what works for u :laugh:

Sam is back on Carprofen tabs

he had them back in the 7 th month last year for a similar problem ( weeing . smelly wind and limping )

as mentioned he has HD and arthritis and his lower back has Siatica

the tabs he was on for Arthritis ( from a different vet as we couldnt get to see this vet ) were Prednisilone which caused him to drink more , then wee more

but I have never seen three huge spots in one night , like it happened few nights ago

Vet doesnt think it is incontinence as such with old age , but more from his back ailment

so no more Prednisilone tabs

caught a nice fresh urine sample this morning , and that was tested and fine :rofl: no trace of any other problem there

he checked his eyes and is getting the blue haze in them so he also going to be given Ester C vitamin C , apparently that will help the fluid in eyes

Tara will also be given Vitamin C as her sight started going the last few years

apart from his HD and Arthrits apparently he ( and Tara ) are both in good condtion and healthy

I also asked him about Hills Science Brain Diet ( as mentioned on a thread in here ) and he said it was great for older dogs

Schnauzer - what made me start to think it could be Diabetes is was the other night he drank a bucker of water over night

I saw our family dog many many years ago basically go into semi coma with Diabetes because a stupid vet didnt diagnose her correctly for the weeks prior to her passing away at another vets

we took her to another vet as she wasnt getting better , the second vet couldnt even identify one of the medications the first vet prescribed for her

by the time the second vet had her blood work and test results back sadly she passed away :laugh:

that was 30 years ago and still brings tears to my eyes

kirst thanks for that will also get a packet of BIOZET

as they getting older I am expecting these accidents

so far the vinegar and water has helped with the smell and the Bi Carb has soaked up a fair amount