Drontal Worming Nightmare

archieboy

Hi

I had a thread going a while back about my Golden Retreiver ... Archie . It was about sorting his diet out after an early illness . That all went well but one post I added was when I heartwormed him on the same day as he was given a worming tablet . I admonished myself for probably over medicating my boy on the one day and him having a terrible night ( and more ) being hyperactive and basically crazy .

So I did think I better follow up on the worming tablet to make sure it wasn't that alone ....went to the official website and looked for possible side effects ....not any really , a great product ..maybe make a pup vomite on the rare occasion .

So yesterday down the hatch went the worming medication as specified .... and we were on that nightmare train again !. Exactly the same horrible symptoms . In desperation and despair during the night I searched deeper and found this someone had posted on another forum :

"Strange that, I wormed my 11 week old Golden Retriever puppy with Drontal a the day before yesterday, gave it during the early evening. By bedtime the puppy was hyper. That night the dog did not sleep, nor did I. He was awake barking all night, I let him out a couple of times but he still would not settle, evetually had to leave him to it and go back to bed. He has never had a night anything like this before, he usually goes to bed and we don't hear a peep until about 5.30 in the morning. The next morning he was shattered, slept nearly all day and hardly ate until the evening.

It was almost as though he had been fed amphetamines, then had the downer next day.

Last night he was completely back to normal.

The only thing that was done different was to give him the Drontal".

I'm sure it is a great product ...but Archie won't be ever having it again . I'm not sure if either of us would live through another dose .

I thought I would just post my experience so that maybe someone else might not have to go through that 2 times like us . No doubt this is a very rare side effect .... but me and Archie are here to say it can happen .