Dreaded Cane Toads

Ebby&Indii

Hi All, Would love some advice on this matter. My 9 Month Old Neo Mastiff has decided only just this week that Cane Toads are fun to play with. I have on four occasions in the last few days had to order her to drop a toad. She seems to like carrying them around. What Can I Do??? She could have picked something a little less dangerous to play with... I am not sure why she has only just noticed them. (We have hundreds here and she has been around them all her life and has only just started playing with them) Any advice on how to discourage this really bad habit??? Thanks in Advance for any advice....

Hi All, Would love some advice on this matter. My 9 Month Old Neo Mastiff has decided only just this week that Cane Toads are fun to play with. I have on four occasions in the last few days had to order her to drop a toad. She seems to like carrying them around. What Can I Do??? She could have picked something a little less dangerous to play with... I am not sure why she has only just noticed them. (We have hundreds here and she has been around them all her life and has only just started playing with them) Any advice on how to discourage this really bad habit??? Thanks in Advance for any advice....

I think you need to teach your dog to avoid the toads in the same way ppl teach their dogs to stay away from snakes. This type of training needs to done correctly from the start so i would recommend contacting a trainer in your area for help.

MM

You may want to read/listen to this... The Dog Who Loved to Suck on Toads http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6376594

I'm doing a first year anthropology subject called Drugs Across Cultures and last week the lecturer played this before the first lecture. Made me thankful that I don't live in a cane toad area...

Guess you have 2 ways to go - acceptance or trying to get rid of the toads. You may find the challenge of preventing the dog from doing this is too much if they have already figured out it gives them a high...

I know there's other threads on here about how to get rid of cane-toads. Maybe do a search for those?

regards

Thanks so much to all who replied. It has been raining here for the last few days and our girl doesn't like to venture out in the "WET" too much, so no toads while it has been raining, would love to try the green tree frog thing but unfortunately we don't see too many of them these days. Read that article with great interest, hope that is not the case with our girl. DogzOnline is always a wealth of knowledge, it is fantastic to have somewhere to go where so much info is at our fingertips. Thanks again guys..

Toads rarely if ever come out during the day so I am wondering how the pup finds them?????

None of mine are allowed outside at night off the leish - it is just part of living in a cane toad area. They would certainly go for the toads if they saw them.

My exercise yards are fully fenced with cyclone wire covered with avian wire so the toads can't get in and every now and then we go around at night with a torch and despatch every cane toad we see.