Feeding Puppies A Raw Diet

MavericksMission

Alright guys another feeding question :)

(you guys are always so good with answers to these questions!) :laugh:

So I have found out the my new little addition Hector is into the whole raw meat and vegies idea.

He doesn't want a bar of puppy food. Hills Science Diet Dry he doesn't mind a couple of them but not enough for a meal..

So I am going to start buying him mince, Beef or Chicken. Also Chicken Necks.

He will also get raw bones.

Is there nutrients and or supplements that I should be adding to his meal for a growing pup? He is currently 10 weeks old.

Also I know that Onions are a big No No! Potato is questionable, Grapes & sultanas are also No No's.. should I watch out for anything else in particular?

I have heard that Pumpkin is really good for them.. should it be raw or cooked?

Really appreciate all your help :)

Sorry for all the questions.. :cry: I just want to get the best for my fur family... ;)

Hey, I feed Charlie BARF

BARF

He loves it!!

For snacks, Charlie has chicken necks, Chicken wings, turkey neck.. a lot of bones!

He snacks on raw carrot. He also eats a lot of fruit (no grapes)

Sardines is good for dogs too...

Alright guys another feeding question :rofl:

(you guys are always so good with answers to these questions!) :)

So I have found out the my new little addition Hector is into the whole raw meat and vegies idea.

He doesn't want a bar of puppy food. Hills Science Diet Dry he doesn't mind a couple of them but not enough for a meal..

So I am going to start buying him mince, Beef or Chicken. Also Chicken Necks.

He will also get raw bones.

Is there nutrients and or supplements that I should be adding to his meal for a growing pup? He is currently 10 weeks old.

Also I know that Onions are a big No No! Potato is questionable, Grapes & sultanas are also No No's.. should I watch out for anything else in particular?

I have heard that Pumpkin is really good for them.. should it be raw or cooked?

Really appreciate all your help :rofl:

Sorry for all the questions.. :rofl: I just want to get the best for my fur family... :rofl:

I have heard some bad things about Science Diet. All food should be fed raw. I used to put my veggies in the food processor (raw) and then get them down to the consistency of an animals gut, and mix that in with the meat. I also add Cod Liver Oil and some Livermol to their food. Oh and a tsp of garlic. I have sent you a list of human foods that are poisonous to dogs. I put it together from Dogs Queensland magazine. He also needs some Acidopholis to help put good bacteria in his tummy. You can use a tablespoon of Plain Yoghurt. Pity you arent in Brisbane. We have a different BARF up here, and it has most of this stuff in it. But you are going down the right track for sure. Fresh is best. My new pup (now 12 weeks old) isnt too fussed on dry puppy food either. I give him a mix of Supercoat and Nutro with his meat, and he nibbles on it. He gets a lot out of his milk though. We make enough for about 3 bowls, and we put an egg and some Yakult in it and dont add Yoghurt to his meat. Hope its of some help and good luck

Edited by elsa

Thanks Heaps Elsa!!

Much appreciated!! :)

Okay so, tablespoon of plain yoghurt in each meal?

Also with the egg, how often do I put that into his meal? or should I just add the egg in the blender with all the vegies? I will probably make some to last me a couple of nights..

I will swap his bikkies onto a much better dry food. I just had Science Diet to last him for a couple of nights till I could by him some dry food in bulk.

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to leave anything important out of his diet as he is a growing boy! :rofl:

Thanks heaps!!!

Thanks Charleswentworth!

I am going to try feeding him on my own raw diet (when I can finally figure out a balanced one! :) )

But I will definitely remember the BARF stuff.

I will also remember the sardines idea too!

(I'm half vegetarian.. so we will see how all these "tongues, brains, spleens and liver things go down, that I have seen in the other posts :rofl: )

Thanks Heaps Elsa!!

Much appreciated!! :laugh:

Okay so, tablespoon of plain yoghurt in each meal?

Also with the egg, how often do I put that into his meal? or should I just add the egg in the blender with all the vegies? I will probably make some to last me a couple of nights..

I will swap his bikkies onto a much better dry food. I just had Science Diet to last him for a couple of nights till I could by him some dry food in bulk.

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to leave anything important out of his diet as he is a growing boy! :laugh:

Thanks heaps!!!

Put the yoghurt in his main meal ie, only one meal per day. Yep, put the egg in with the veggies. That way he will get an egg about every 2-3 days. I have a Barf recipe on my computer somewhere. Someone on here posted it. I will send it to you. I havent personally used it, as I just do the veggies on their own, put the meat in the bowl, and add as much veggies as I want and mix it all up together. Maybe a tablespoon or two. I dont feed offal, just chicken mince mainly. One of my dogs has a beef allergy, and chicken is cheap and good for her cos its got all the good omegas in it and has the ground up frame in it too. Make sure that what you buy has no or very little preservative.

Just a word to the wise, dont put too much cabbage in, it ummm makes them fart lol.

I will also give them sardines once in a while too. I have German Shepherds so my quantities are a good size. I feed them half a kilo a day, and the pup is probably getting more than that spread over 3 meals. He is 12 weeks old.