Where Will Your Next Dog Come From

poodlefan

Where will your next dog come from?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. I will get my next dog from

• DOL listed registered breeder
    • Other Registered Breeder (ANKC or other register)
    • Rescue Organisation
    • Shelter
    • Pound
    • RSPCA
    • Non registered Breeder
    • Pet Shop
    • Other
  2. 2. My next dog will be

• A pup
    • A mature dog
    • A senior dog
  3. 3. DOL Forum Membership has influenced this decision

• Yes
    • No

I get where people are coming from saying that pounds are third party and all that to backyard breeders, I have thought about this myself - BUT - just think about what would happen to those puppies and dogs if there were no rescues around....

If there were no rescues around it would not prevent these puppies from being born or these older dogs from being dumped. By buying from these places you are NOT supporting backyard breeders you are preserving the lives of these dogs and puppies.

One day I may buy from a registered breeder but I am not 100% sure about that, the one thing I do know is that as much as I love rescuing older dogs my next dog IS going to be a puppy. My last 3 dogs have all been mature when I got them, I have not had a puppy since 1992 and I now feel I have learnt so much (from DOL and other places) and have so much knowledge to offer to a puppy to give it the best possible start to life and a great agility career, I might be nearly ready to get one!

We are saving the lives of puppies and dogs in rescue, but in that process, are we encouraging the BYB's, pet shops and puppy farmers to breed and distribute more???. Personally I would like to see these breedings shut down completely, but it's a hard line to call and the consequence is that lives will be lost. It's a major problem that doesn't have a conclusive answer and is a very difficult situation to contend with in the best interests of homeless dogs.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you are understanding exactly how rescue works, or how the pet market works Longcoat.

Rescue takes dogs from pounds so they avoid being destroyed. Rescue doesn't care where the dog came from, only that nobody wants the dog and it will die if it doesn't get a home.

Rescue organisations do not generally make any money, it is a volunteer thing. The adoption fee is about equal to the cost of the vet work that has been done on the dog or maybe even less.

The dogs that end up in rescue have been dumped. Whether they are rehomed or just killed, the puppy farmers don't care, as long as people keep buying cute little puppies without any planning.

Rescuing dogs does not encourage puppy farmers to breed more of them at all. No puppy farmer would have a clue whether the dogs they sell are killed or rehomed, they only care that they sell more puppies, and they don't care who they sell them to.

I don't think you are understanding exactly how rescue works, or how the pet market works Longcoat.

Rescue takes dogs from pounds so they avoid being destroyed. Rescue doesn't care where the dog came from, only that nobody wants the dog and it will die if it doesn't get a home.

Rescue organisations do not generally make any money, it is a volunteer thing. The adoption fee is about equal to the cost of the vet work that has been done on the dog or maybe even less.

The dogs that end up in rescue have been dumped. Whether they are rehomed or just killed, the puppy farmers don't care, as long as people keep buying cute little puppies without any planning.

Rescuing dogs does not encourage puppy farmers to breed more of them at all. No puppy farmer would have a clue whether the dogs they sell are killed or rehomed, they only care that they sell more puppies, and they don't care who they sell them to.

I was thinking more about a couple of BYB's I knew that would continue to breed irratically on the basis that if they couldn't find homes for all the puppies, some organisation would take them off their hands to try and find them homes. In other words, they didn't care much if their bitch became pregnant, but having said that, if no organisations would take their excess puppies they couldn't home, their bitches would have been desexed.

I will (hopefully) be getting my next puppy from the same breeder I just got my new one from.

Was very happy with both the breeder and the pup :laugh:

I found the breeder by looking on Dogzonline and just browsing through the breed listings.

I made the decision as to which breeder I liked the look of, and made the call.

I only just found this forum so it obviously didn't influence me :laugh:

My next dog will be coming from a Registered breeder, who is listed on DOL, although I didn't know it until I had already contacted her. I have found most of my information regarding breeders has been around the show ring circle and since I want a show potential pup, I guess that is the best place for me to access information regarding breeders.

DOL however has been invaluable in learning more about the breed and meeting other people with the same breed. It would also be fantastic for someone wanting to get a dog that doesn't go to shows etc. I wish I had known about DOL when I bought my very first labrador about 11years ago for showing. It would have saved me so much trouble and a bit of heartache as well!

I think DOL is a fantastic site and recommend it to lots of people as well as my puppy buyers.

I was thinking more about a couple of BYB's I knew that would continue to breed irratically on the basis that if they couldn't find homes for all the puppies, some organisation would take them off their hands to try and find them homes. In other words, they didn't care much if their bitch became pregnant, but having said that, if no organisations would take their excess puppies they couldn't home, their bitches would have been desexed.

You are getting into grey areas now.

I don't really agree with rescue taking pups directly from breeders, unless a deal can be done to desex the mother as well.

But you wouldn't be able to trust what this byb says, or really believe the excuses. Byb dump unsold pups at the RSPCA too. They like to think the pups will get homes, but there is no guarantee of that. People that continually breed, sell and dump are not the people that you would expect to desex their dog.