Unable To Get Focus

huski

Hi guys

Bit of a random question and not sure if anyone can help me.

We have a Nikon D90 at work and I am trying to use it to take some up close pics of an object. I am trying to use the macro setting but I cannot get it to focus at all. I've read the user manual and there is nothing in there that is helping me, I have no idea what I am doing wrong :laugh: If I hold down the shutter button half way it doesn't even attempt to focus.

I am only used to using my little canon ixus (it does have a macro mode) so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Can anyone help? (quite urgent as the pics need to be taken ASAP, I have taken some with my little camera but the quality isn't as great as it would be with the DSLR).

Maybe the lens you're using doesn't have macro capabilities? If you're too close for it to focus it just won't. Having the dial turned to the flower icon doesn't make it macro as such.

Can you move back a bit to take the photo and then zoom in on the computer?

Ah ok, thanks guys. I might just have to use the pics I've taken with my little camera. Macka, I made sure it was on A not M and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Ruth, I've tried taking the photo from a distance but it will only focus really far away and I need an up close pic - too far away to zoom in when I edit it and get the result I need. You are probably correct and the lens just doesn't have the capabilities. I have no idea if this helps but the lens says 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6??

Edited by huski