Dog And Foster Cat

Just wondering about this

My other half and I are fostering a kitten at the moment. The kitten is a little boy between the age of 6-7 weeks and since he is so small I have been letting my dog get used to his smell and appearance for a couple of days now.

However I have noticed my lab's behaviour has changed a bit, she seems to cry and carry on when the kitten is mewing ( we have him set up in the bathroom at the moment due to toilet training and him being so small we don't want to see him harmed).

Also when we have the kitten out my lab goes into her crate and all the while she is crying unless the kitten is in her view, Once the kitten is back in the bathroom she races around the house trying to find him and the last couple of times we had them both out she licked the kitten.

I am just wondering if this is ok behaviour as this is the first time my dog has been around a cat and my first time of trying to introduce animals to each other.

--Lhok

Boy, this brings back memories. My lovely Dalmatian Stella was about 11-12 yrs old when we adopted a very young kitten like this. Stella quickly became 'Mum' to this kitten, to the point that she had the kitten's ears so clean that the hair had been licked off the back. It surprised me 'cause my Stella was very much a fem dom. But she was such a good mom that she hovered under anyone who would pick up the kitten, just in case the kitten fell. Stella has been gone a couple of years now (sniff), but the kitten, now four, LOVES dogs and has tried to convince my current Dal girl that cats make great buddies. She is constantly snuggling up to the dog.

Cheers,

Eileen

Just wondering about this

My other half and I are fostering a kitten at the moment. The kitten is a little boy between the age of 6-7 weeks and since he is so small I have been letting my dog get used to his smell and appearance for a couple of days now.

However I have noticed my lab's behaviour has changed a bit, she seems to cry and carry on when the kitten is mewing ( we have him set up in the bathroom at the moment due to toilet training and him being so small we don't want to see him harmed).

Also when we have the kitten out my lab goes into her crate and all the while she is crying unless the kitten is in her view, Once the kitten is back in the bathroom she races around the house trying to find him and the last couple of times we had them both out she licked the kitten.

I am just wondering if this is ok behaviour as this is the first time my dog has been around a cat and my first time of trying to introduce animals to each other.

--Lhok