Puppy Becoming Food Agressive

waffle

I would like to know how many people would appreciate a hand in their plate whilst eating their meal??? I would more than likely tell someone to stop it, in a dogs way they do this by growling, if they continued they might push me to reacting further by hitting them, I.e dogs who feel they have no way out will feel the need to bite to protect their food.

I had a food aggressive dog, a beautiful dog in every other aspect, affectionate, obedient but he didn't like people touching him while he ate, you could take the bowl away no problems, walk up and take the bone and he would simply sit and wait for it to be given back to him.

I believe in any behavioural situation you are not happy with that involves aggression you should seek an appointment with a trained behaviourist who can monitor the situation and develop a plan with the owner and one who can show how to react and working to change the situation.

I do not fancy people trying a bit of this and a bit of that from advice on a forum as it has the potential to confuse the dog, reinforce the behaviour and make matters worse.