Help Please! Problems With Going On A Walk

Alison Ma

Last night, Lola was getting confused, because I am the one doing the exercises with her, but my partner is int he background yelling "sit, stay".

Explain to him that the dog can only listen to one person at a time, and you need him to think about that and step back sometimes so you can work with her too. I know, not easy to say that to his face if he's ego driven - but I think you are going to have to.

______

Yeah, I need to take charge and do what I think is right, because at the end of the day, she is my dog.

I am definitely going to call the trainer and ask him to help me out.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh:

:)

I was going to say, in response to this..

Our main problem is exercising her.

NO- your main problem, as I see it is to get BOTH of you some help so you can TRAIN your dog- then you will be able to go for walks/runs/ all sorts of things.

An untrained ,confused dog , as you have found out- is not a happy and settled one :laugh:

Your partner may well be stronger and more able to physically hold and control Lola- but all that is doing is making her stronger and more likely to pull :D

Ego has no part in helping educate a dog,or child, for that matter. if someone does NOT understand the way a dog/child behaves/learns/responds to certain stimuli- then that person will gain much from learning with a professional! :)

Good for you in calling the trainer!!!

:rofl:

I was going to say, in response to this..

Our main problem is exercising her.

NO- your main problem, as I see it is to get BOTH of you some help so you can TRAIN your dog- then you will be able to go for walks/runs/ all sorts of things.

An untrained ,confused dog , as you have found out- is not a happy and settled one :rofl:

Your partner may well be stronger and more able to physically hold and control Lola- but all that is doing is making her stronger and more likely to pull :rofl:

Ego has no part in helping educate a dog,or child, for that matter. if someone does NOT understand the way a dog/child behaves/learns/responds to certain stimuli- then that person will gain much from learning with a professional! :)

Good for you in calling the trainer!!!

:)

Thank you for your advice.

Along with Lola, I am confused too. I know we definitely need a trainer, so I am going to call Craig Murray today.

You and your partner need to be on the same page. I really do feel you need some one on one training before heading to a group obedience school where you may be left behind and then become stressed in the situation.

Perhaps you can express this to your partner.

I have learned in the past that if you're not on the same page, it can drive a wedge between the humans in the family and create stress and tention which the dog picks up on. The dog needs its' humans on the same page because dogs learn through consistency.

I don't think anywhere here can help you with anymore suggestions, it's going to be up to you and your partner to get on the same page and seek some professional training so the dog can finially settle down and be calm which is only fair to the dog.

My partner has this huge ego-trip when it comes to me telling him how it is with Lola. Last night, Lola was getting confused, because I am the one doing the exercises with her, but my partner is int he background yelling "sit, stay".

I hear you, I went through the same with my partner many years ago, we're now on the same page and I can tell you the dogs are very happy and clam as they know it is expected of them, we both treat them the same and expect the same.

Walk your dog, do not let your dog walk you. If you allow your dog to walk in front of you while on a lead you are reinforcing in the dog's mind that the dog is alpha over you. Leader goes first. This can lead to many behavioral issues that some regard as a "Breed Trait" or "Personality" when actually it is just your dog in charge of it's humans. A dog walking in front does not drain their mental energy. They are not relaxed and following, as they have a big responsibility to be leading the pack. This mental anguish can build up inside of a dog. When a dog is hyper or high strung it means the dog is not getting the proper amount and or type of exercise. :(:):rofl:

Walk your dog, do not let your dog walk you. If you allow your dog to walk in front of you while on a lead you are reinforcing in the dog's mind that the dog is alpha over you. Leader goes first. This can lead to many behavioral issues that some regard as a "Breed Trait" or "Personality" when actually it is just your dog in charge of it's humans. A dog walking in front does not drain their mental energy. They are not relaxed and following, as they have a big responsibility to be leading the pack. This mental anguish can build up inside of a dog. When a dog is hyper or high strung it means the dog is not getting the proper amount and or type of exercise. :):rofl::mad

Sorry, but as I determine the speed, pace and direction of our walks and the dogs walk on loose leads, I"m the one in charge regardless of whether they're in front of me or not.

I don't understand how you can argue that a dog in front is in charge but at the same time state that being in charge won't drain them mentally? :(

Walk your dog, do not let your dog walk you. If you allow your dog to walk in front of you while on a lead you are reinforcing in the dog's mind that the dog is alpha over you. Leader goes first. This can lead to many behavioral issues that some regard as a "Breed Trait" or "Personality" when actually it is just your dog in charge of it's humans. A dog walking in front does not drain their mental energy. They are not relaxed and following, as they have a big responsibility to be leading the pack. This mental anguish can build up inside of a dog. When a dog is hyper or high strung it means the dog is not getting the proper amount and or type of exercise. :(:):rofl:

Oh boy, where are you reciting this from?

Although you're on the right track, you've gone a bit astray.