A Question For Other Judges...

Stonebridge was there a reason why at judges training they said you shouldn't bend over to watch movement judging?

This was judges training back in NZ.

It was mentioned only to save wear and tear on my back.

My back is not good anyway but it is something I have to live with.

I prefer to crouch slightly or bend down.

Approaching a dog on the table or the ground should always be done with concideration to the smaller breeds.

Sometimes I wear glasses because of the glare(and because I have an eye problem but always take them off to check colour of dogs eyes and coat colour.

Glasses - go to an optometrist and get a pair of transitional glasses as they will cut down the glare but don't alter the colour of the dog and look like prescription glasses. No problems as they dog can still see your eyes.

I've found them necessary as my eyes don't like a lot of glare.

Many, many years ago, a judge, who is still judging, took a cushion into the toy ring to kneel on and not soil his clothes.

All the better to see movement on those close to the ground as in that ring.

i will often bend down to watch movement on smaller dogs. Personally dont see the problem or understand why it would be - I guess it is in how you approach the dog. As to hats and sunnies. I agree that really dark reflective sunnies are very spooky - I tend to wear quite clear ones that remove the glare and I also lift them up to see colour. As to hats - well, personally with todays knowledge of skin cancer I think it is unreasonable to expect a judge to stand outdoors all day without a hat. I put hats on and off and all sorts of caps etc as pups they soon get used to it. Same with flapping plastic bags - some rings use the flags to mark the edges, when they flap they make a similar noise. Some dogs will always be frightened of somethings - and therefore the judge should remove the hat or glasses, but I think that as owners we can help by wearing that sort of attire at home to familiarise pups. Wont solve every dogs' concern but it will help some. JMHO

Glasses - go to an optometrist and get a pair of transitional glasses as they will cut down the glare but don't alter the colour of the dog and look like prescription glasses. No problems as they dog can still see your eyes.

I've found them necessary as my eyes don't like a lot of glare.

Many, many years ago, a judge, who is still judging, took a cushion into the toy ring to kneel on and not soil his clothes.

All the better to see movement on those close to the ground as in that ring.

I have a UV protective coating put on my clear specs as well as my sunnies.. keeps the glare down from the computer. I show in clear specs always - wouldn't want the judge to get spooked from not being able to see my eyes. :shrug: