Gsd Accident

Gilypoo

My question to DOL users is: Is there a way to teach a dog "ROAD SENSE".

Honestly?

No. All we can do is contain them and control them.

Sounds like you need properly constructed, roofed runs for when you aren't home.

I agree.....We had escaping Kelpie work dogs, they just wanted to work and they would escape to find Mike on our property. So we made a six foot high run with a mesh roof. It is totally escape proof. The fence has a concrete strip under it to stop digging Two work dogs tried very hard. it has a kennel room attached to keep everyone dry in Winter and cool in summer. It was home made by hubby.........

I truly think it is the only way. Most dogs just cannot get the traffic concept, unless they are as well trained as a guide dog. So glad to hear your dog was ok. A run might be cheaper than vet bills.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Most dogs just cannot get the traffic concept, unless they are as well trained as a guide dog.

Even then it wouldn't necessarily go to follow that they'd observe traffic rules if they were out roaming on their own agendas.

I've always taught my dogs to keep off the road by making them sit at the kerb first whenever we cross and wait for the command to cross. I'm consistent in this - never let them wander around on the road, whether with me or alone.

If you walk your dog on the road, and let it run around out there when you are not home, then buckley's hope for you, I'm afraid!

Poor dog!

Any advise on "ROAD SENSE" would be REALLY appreciated..

Gily :o